General Military Course (GMC)
The General Military Course (GMC) consists of freshmen and sophomores. The following are some minimum requirements:
- Enrolled in an accredited college that hosts or has a crosstown agreement with a detachment.
- A United States citizen (if on scholarship).
- In good physical condition.
- Of good moral character.
- 17 years or older to receive a scholarship.
- Committed to attending both the aerospace studies class and Leadership Lab each semester.
The following conditions may prevent you from AFROTC membership but will not hinder you from enrolling in an aerospace studies class:
- Conscientious objectors—one who has or had a firm, fixed and sincere objection to participation in war, in any form, or to the bearing of arms because of religious training or belief, which includes solely moral or ethical beliefs
- Present or former commissioned officers of the Armed Forces
- Officers of the Health Services and Mental Health Administration and members of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Those medically diagnosed with asthma or who have been prescribed Ritalin or any other medication for ADD and/or ADHD at any point in their life may be precluded from military service, but this may be waived, depending on circumstances.
- Individuals on active duty with any military service—enlisted/warrant officers of Reserve or National Guard, unless conditionally released
- Nonimmigrant students from nations not approved by the Department of State
- Students who do not or cannot meet required standards of weight, appearance, decorum, discipline and military performance
- Individuals who have dropped out of a previous officer training program. This may be waived, depending on circumstances