University Policy on Humane Care and Use of Animals in Research
Saint Joseph’s University is committed to the judicious, humane use of animals in research, testing, and teaching. In support of this commitment, the institution has given assurance (Assurance # A4224-01) that it will comply with the Public Health Service (PHS) Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
This assurance is applicable to all teaching, research, research training, experimentation, biological testing and related activities involving live, vertebrate animals conducted at Saint Joseph’s University, or at another institution as a consequence of the subgranting or subcontracting of a PHS-conducted or supported activity by this institution.
St. Joseph’s University will comply with all applicable provisions of the Animal Welfare Act and other Federal statutes and regulations relating to animals.
This institution is guided by the “U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training” (Principles).
The Institution has established and will continue to maintain a program for activities involving animals in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (Guide).
This Institution has an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University and qualified through the experience and expertise of its members to oversee the Institution’s animal program, facilities and procedures. The IACUC will:
- Review at least once every six months the Institution’s program for humane care and use of animals, using the PHS Guide as a basis for evaluation.
- Inspect at least once every six months all of the Institution’s animal facilities using the Guide as the basis for evaluation.
- Prepare reports of the IACUC evaluations as set forth in the PHS Policy and make written recommendations regarding any aspect of the Institution’s animal programs, facilities, or personnel training to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Review concerns involving the care and use of animals in the Institution.
- Review and approve, require modifications in or withhold approval of applications and proposals for activities related to the care and use of animals, and proposed significant changes in previously approved activities, as set forth in the PHS Policy.
- Determine that the activity conforms with the Institution’s Assurance.
- Shall notify Investigators and the Institution in writing of its decision to approve or withhold approval of those sections of applications or proposals related to the care and use of animals, or of modifications required to secure IACUC approval.
- Shall conduct continuing review of applications and proposals covered by the PHS Policy not less than annually.
- Have authority to suspend a previously approved activity if it determines that the activity is not being conducted in accordance with the approved protocol or with applicable provisions of the Animal Welfare Act, the Guide, the Institution’s Assurance, or as set forth in PHS Policy.
IACUC Guidelines and formats are available in the Office of Research Services and at the ORS website.
Note – This site makes extensive use of the Adobe Acrobat PDF format. *
*If you do not have the free Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your computer, we suggest that you download it here. If you need assistance in preparing a PDF document, or in converting an existing document to PDF format, please call x1286.