The Office of Research Services is responsible for planning, organizing, and administrating the University's grant and contract activities. When a faculty or staff member is interested in submitting a proposal for external funding, they need to contact the ORS to receive proposal preparation assistance, to ensure their proposal is in compliance with agency and University polices, and to secure University approvals prior to submission.
- Identifying funding sources
- Obtaining funding agency application and guidelines
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals to include: reviewing proposals for consistency with the funding announcement as well as providing feedback on proposal language, editing assistance, providing standard wording regarding the University and its policies and assistance with the standard application forms.
- Developing proposal budgets in accordance with University and agency policies and providing data regarding salaries, fringe benefits, facilities and administrative costs.
- Preparing the proposal package for submission to the funding agency in compliance with the agency's requirements, making copies, and forwarding to the funding agency.
Procedure for Submitting a Proposal
- Complete the Intent to Submit Proposal Form as soon as you determine to submit an application to a funding agency. Please attach a copy of the RFP, guidelines, and/or application packet.
- Once you have determined to submit a proposal it is now time to put the ideas down on paper and write a draft narrative. It is highly recommended to have the narrative reviewed by peer faculty members who can offer constructive criticism.
- After you have completed a rough draft of the narrative section of the application, arrange a meeting with the ORS to begin developing a budget which will meet the needs of the research project. The grants manager in the ORS will assist you in determining your financial needs.
- If matching funds or cost sharing is required, please complete the Approval for Matching Funds/Cost Sharing Form and obtain the necessary approvals.
- Once you have completed the final draft of the narrative and budget sections complete the Internal Processing Form. Attach the form to the final grant proposal and obtain the necessary authorization signatures prior to submitting to the ORS for final review. Note: Incomplete Internal Processing Forms may result in delays and prevent the proposal from being submitted.
- If the research involves human subjects or vertebrate animals approval from the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB) or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) respectively. Proposals may be submitted while protocols are pending. If the proposal is funded final approval of the protocol will be needed before the ORS will accept the award.
- Submit the final proposal package to the Office of Research Services at least two days prior to the due date for final review and approval. The ORS will complete any necessary form for the agency and sign any certifications required.
- If requested the ORS will make the total number of copies and mail the proposal to the funding agency.