One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Michael Valucci '19

Real Estate Finance

Accounting Department Intern

Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust

The Value of an Internship

“I interned at Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust in Center City Philadelphia. I worked in the accounting department, and I experienced many different things. For example, I worked on straight-line rent reviews, worked on a loan covenant, and helped with the earnings release and the Supplemental 10 Q. I also prepared leasing analytics for the CFO, helped prepare the end-of-quarter cash flow statement, and did corporate bank reconciliations. Lastly, I experienced quarter close, where any time there was a new tracking sheet entry recorded, I would have to run new reports and update documentation.”

How Did SJU’s Real Estate Society and Real Estate & Construction Alumni Chapter Help You Achieve Your Professional Goals?

“Members of the SJU Real Estate and Construction Alumni Chapter have helped me with networking, and showed me what is out there in the real estate industry in terms of companies and different positions to target. This knowledge and guidance has led me to have successful first internship experience.”

How Did Your Internship Experience Change Your Career Outlook?

“I want to explore the real estate Industry further. This past summer, I experienced the numbers behind a publicly-traded REIT by working in the accounting department. I would love to intern with CBRE or JLL this summer and learn more about the brokerage side of the business or get into acquisitions.”