From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Michael Griffith is smiling in front of a light grey background. He is wearing a dark blazer with a purple tie, and has his hair styled.

Michael Griffith '15

Major(s):

Finance, International Business

Career Advancement, I got a job!

Position:

Investment Banking Analyst - Public Finance

Company/Organization:

Janney Montgomery Scott LLC

Briefly describe your position.

"We are responsible for facilitating debt issuance for local, county and state level municipal issuers as they explore options to finance capital improvement projects. On a daily basis, I am responsible for financial modeling and cash flow analysis for our clients, so that they can pursue their capital plans."

How did you first learn about or get connected to your current opportunity?

"My roommate put me in contact with an industry professional who later introduced me to my first boss. I was originally hired on the municipal advisory side of the business helping municipal issuers with their financing goals and debt management. After a year, I transitioned into my current role in capital markets, underwriting bonds and bringing new issuance to market."

How did your SJU education impact your position or professional goals?

"As a double major in Finance and International Business, I was able to explore the way business is conducted in other countries and improve my global awareness. More specifically, the Finance major at Saint Joe's provided exposure to a number of financial modeling courses that helped prepare me for my current position."

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

"As a junior, I spent both semesters studying abroad. In the Fall semester, I was a student at Saint Louis University in Madrid, Spain and during the Spring semester I studied at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy. Although, my year-long study abroad experience in Europe hindered my ability to interview for the traditional internships that many of my peers were exposed to, I was able to take advantage of networking opportunities throughout my senior year that ultimately led to my first job/career."