From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Mamatha Chary is smiling in an office cubicle. She has wavy, dark hair and is wearing a light brown blouse draped around her shoulders.

Mamatha Chary '14 (M.S.)

Grad Degree:

Psychology M.S.

Graduate/Professional School

Position:

Doctoral Candidate

School:

University of Massachusetts-Amherst

Briefly describe your program.

"I am a 4th year PhD student working with Dr. Kirby Deater-Deckard at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. My research focuses on fathering effects on various facets of child self regulation- cognitive, emotional and physiological."

How did you first learn about this program and opportunity?

"I learned about Dr. Deater-Deckard's work on parenting while I was in the Experimental Psychology program at SJU."

How did your SJU education impact your professional goals?

"My interest in paternal parenting started with my work with Dr. Elizabeth Becker at SJU. In her lab, we used a murine model to study fathering effects on offspring behavioral and biological development. This research gave me the foundation for studying parenting and got me interested in examining how such early life experiences have long lasting effects on development. I also took a variety of classes in the program at SJU that fostered my interest in understanding self regulation. Since toddlerhood is a ripe time for both children and parenting in terms of having reciprocal effects on behavior, I decided to look for graduate programs which would offer me the chance to explore this question in more detail."

Did you take part in any experiential learning opportunities while at SJU?

"I ran my Master's study in Dr. Becker's lab as well as assisted in other projects in the lab."