One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Erika Moritz

Erika Moritz '18

Major:

Communication Studies

Minor:

Marketing

Internship

Position:

Marketing and Advertising Intern

Company/Organization:

Philadelphia Style Magazine

Briefly describe your role and how you landed it.

"My roommate worked for Philadelphia Style Magazine the previous summer and knew they were looking for new interns so she passed my name along. In the internship, I conducted research on consumer trends to inform and assist in creating digital and print content. Along with this, I assisted in planning, hosting and coordinating events in Philadelphia for local vendors, socialites, and celebrities. I also followed changes in industry trends and changing styles to update the website and magazine content."

Describe your day-to-day schedule.

"I would come in and meet with my boss and she would tell me the different tasks that needed to be completed that day. These tasks included researching local events and writing descriptions about them for both the website and magazine, updating the website with this information and researching information or fact checking potential articles for the newest version of the magazine."

What skills do you use on a daily basis in this role?

"I utilized my writing skills daily. Along with being organized and efficient, I also had to be proficient in managing social media and updating websites."

How did your SJU education prepare you for this opportunity?

"My communications classes allowed me to bring many skills to the job like knowledge of different editing platforms along with editing media and researching data. My marketing classes helped me to better understand the industry and how the magazine manages advertisers."

What is some advice you would give to students who are searching for internships and jobs?

"Be confident in yourself and always work hard. Put yourself out there and don't be afraid to do the extra mile to stand-out. Even if you feel that you may not have that much experience, a manager will respond most to passion and hard work."