From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Andrew Castellone

Andrew Castellone '18

Major(s):

Finance, Risk Management and Insurance

I got a job!

Position:

Commercial Lines Underwriting Trainee

Company/Organization:

Selective Insurance

Briefly describe your position/opportunity.

"I am in an 11-month Underwriting training program that’s focused on building a deep understanding of the commercial insurance market. The position provides an in-depth study of commercial insurance coverages, theories, and practices. The program helps trainees develop skills and knowledge in underwriting multiline coverage for small and middle market businesses. I have learned about the risk and exposures of Selective’s business segments as well as gained insight into various aspects of insurance operations. This program requires trainees to pursue professional designations to enhance their industry knowledge. I have also had the opportunity to meet with leaders throughout the organization."

How did you first learn about or get connected to your current position/opportunity?

"I interned at Selective after my junior year in their Ignite Internship Program. I really enjoyed my experience and was fortunate enough to learn about their Underwriting Trainee Program which I decided to pursue."

How did your SJU education impact your position or professional goals?

"I took advantage of many opportunities through the Haub School of Business in going to networking events to connect with potential employers and develop my understanding of the insurance industry. I completed three internships as an undergraduate at SJU and was determined to create a life full of learning. Following graduation, I have obtained professional designations which have helped me develop a thorough understanding of the business and better connect with colleagues. The education I received at Saint Joseph’s University was invaluable and has made me a well-rounded insurance professional."

What advice would you give to students?

"If I had to give one piece of advice to current students, I would definitely say to put yourself out there and take advantage of every opportunity possible, especially if that means stepping out of your comfort zone. At the time, making a choice to step out of one’s comfort zone seems challenging and uncomfortable but one will always find their experience valuable. Your friends might not take advantage of these opportunities with you and that’s an even better reason to separate yourself from the rest. I’m always so thankful for taking advantage of attending career fairs and on-campus networking events, such as Talk with Hawks, because I met some incredible people and made connections that will last a lifetime. Attending these events led to gaining invaluable experiences, sparked my interest into the insurance industry, and prepared for my future. If I didn’t put myself out there and take advantage of every opportunity possible, I don’t know where I would be in my early career right now."

What were you involved with on campus?

"During my time at SJU, I was the Vice President of the SJU Men’s Club Lacrosse Team, a member of Gamma Iota Sigma: International Risk Management, Insurance, and Actuarial Science Collegiate Fraternity, a resident/member of Business Residential Learning Community (RLC), and a volunteer for SJU Haul and Best of the Nest."