From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

AJ Buono is smiling in front of a grey background. He is wearing glasses, a dark suit, and a striped tie.

AJ Buono '16

Major:

Marketing

Minor:

Risk Management & Insurance

I got a job!

Position:

Underwriter, Excess Casualty

Company/Organization:

Chubb North America

Describe your current role.

"As an underwriter the largest part of my role is to analyze risks of large commercial businesses and price insurance according to my judgement. Through a strict and thorough underwriting process we provide our clients with high capacity protection in case of a catastrophic event."

How did you learn about this opportunity?

"I was connected to my current position through the SJU Career Fair during my Senior year. An HR representative from Chubb (formerly ACE) had put me in contact with roles within the company in the New York City area. Previously I had an internship with another insurance company, Zurich North America, which was my first exposure to the insurance industry."

How did your SJU education impact your professional goals?

"SJU's Risk Management & Insurance program prepared me for my first job as it provided very detailed information about the industry and opportunities for gaining experience. Everything from learning the technical wording of insurance policies to having the ability of meet and learn from established insurance executives was extremely beneficial during my time at SJU."

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

"During my time at SJU I had an internship with another insurance company Zurich North America which was my first exposure to the insurance industry. My role was to support all lines of insurance products in efforts to write new business and "cross-sell" with other existing pieces of business which the company already wrote. Overall it was a great experience as I learned about all different product lines in the insurance industry and this helped me pursue a career in underwriting."