The very talented Dr. April Lindner, Professor of English here at SJU, will read from her new novel LOVE, Lucy on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 during Free Period at the Library. Read on for a brief description of the book, as well as the terrific reviews the book has received.
I could just disappear–lose myself in Florence.
The thought gave Lucy a delicious little shiver.
She could go anywhere, pick a new name for herself, become a whole new person.
She could learn Italian, apply for a job in a cafe, and never go home again.
I could be whoever I want to be.
While backpacking through Florence, Italy, during the summer before she heads off to college, Lucy Sommersworth finds herself falling in love with the culture, the architecture, the food…and Jesse Palladino, a handsome street musician. After a whirlwind romance, Lucy returns home, determined to move on from her “vacation flirtation.” But just because summer is over doesn’t mean Lucy and Jesse are over too.
In this coming of age romance, due out in January 2015, April Lindner perfectly captures the highs and lows of a summer love that might just be meant to last beyond the season.
“April Lindner brings on the feels with her usual charm. Love, Lucy is another romantic winner from this amazingly talented writer.”—Meg Cabot, author of The Princess Diaries and the Heather Wells mystery series
“Love, Lucy hits all the right notes…This is a great coming-of-age story, perfect for Sarah Dessen fans or those who enjoy books with a summer romance.”—VOYA (starred review)
“A contemporary romance with surprising depth in its coming-of-age elements, this modern update of E. M. Forster’s A Room with a View will appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen, Stephanie Perkins, and Lindner’s reimagined classics.”—SLJ
“This intelligent love story will resonate with readers who are themselves balancing the thin line between making lives of their own and seeking parents’ approval. A good read-alike recommendation for fans of Jennifer E. Smith or Stephanie Perkins.”—Booklist
You have to see NewPages to really appreciate it. NewPages.com is news, information and guides to literary magazines, independent publishers, creative writing programs, alternative periodicals, indie bookstores, writing contests, and more. Their Call for Submissions list is pages long, as well as their Writing Contest opportunities. I’m not a serious writer, but I might just take a swing at one of their offerings. What have I got to lose? Take a look and let me know if anything jumps out at you. I know you have something that would wow those judges!
Merion Matters is the company behind the popular ADVANCE brand, a leader in the healthcare industry for almost 30 years. We’re committed to serving the informational and career needs of millions of doctors, nurses and allied healthcare professionals through a wide range of products and services including magazines, websites, a retail shop, events, custom promotions and communications, hospital shows, conferences and partnerships. We offer corporate clients the opportunity to connect with and influence the healthcare market with effective, targeted and customized media, marketing and merchandise solutions. Join our award-winning team and touch the lives of millions of healthcare professionals. Visit us online at www.advanceweb.com.
We are seeking an Editorial Assistant to assist ADVANCE for Physical Therapy & Rehab Medicine and ADVANCE for Occupational Therapy Practitioners, serving our well-known publication and its supporting Web sites http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com & http://occupational-therapy.advanceweb.com. ADVANCE for Physical Therapy & Rehab Medicine & ADVANCE for Occupational Therapy Practitioners provides timely, topical, balanced articles to connect rehab professionals with the latest issues surrounding the field.
- Create and manage the entire site’s content, including: features, online columns, national news, blogs, resource centers, multimedia, etc.
- Update top story/graphics and develop related content links weekly
- Coordinate with editors to plan site content and generate story ideas with the objective of increasing advertiser appeal
- Develop a thorough web content schedule each month and communicate this with editorial and sales teams
- Coordinate graphics for top articles and communicate with art department on the supply of these materials
- Update site according to deadlines
- Update and manage Social Media pages such as Facebook and Twitter
- Research and write, or acquisition, original news and feature articles and manage the process ensuring receipt of both materials and payment
- Perform first edits of acquired web and/or print articles
- Create Web table of contents to appear in print publications
- Proof site when ready to go live
- Write electronic newsletters to promote site
- Write articles for print magazine as needed
- Coordinate news section for print magazine
- Attend monthly art/cover meetings and present ideas for photos, illustrations and graphics
- Assist editor in the proofing of designed print articles and the production deadline process of the magazine
- Attend annual conferences and provide conference “wrap-up” features after returning
- Coordinate special projects as needed, including digital editions, surveys, patient handouts, conference calendars, etc.
- 1-2 years of newspaper writing, magazine or trade publication experience. Entry level candidates with internship experience will be considered
- Web content management experience a plus
- Ability to forecast and manage business-related issues pertaining to the publication
- Ability to collaborate with in-house sales and production staff
Please send resume along with 3 published samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
Web and multimedia samples are strongly preferred.