Update: January 1, 2021
The Writing Center will offer virtual appointments only through the end of the spring 2021 semester. A decision about whether to restart In-person tutoring for the summer will be made at the beginning of May.
Update: August 12, 2020
The Writing Center will offer virtual appointments only through the end of 2020. Beginning August 31, we will use a single schedule for appointments (rather than three schedules designated by location, Merion Hall, PLC and Kinney Center, as we have done in the past.)
We will also offer Class Visits via Zoom for faculty members who wish to invite tutors to introduce the Writing Center to their students.
Additional virtual programming will be announced via Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Update: June 24, 2020
The Writing Center will remain online for the fall 2020 semester, offering virtual appointments only.
More information to follow in August.
Update: April 21, 2020
The Writing Center will remain online for the summer, offering virtual appointments only.
Update: March 12, 2020
1) While the university was extended Spring Break through Wednesday, March 18, the SJU Writing Center "opened" Sunday, March 15, as scheduled.
2) All of our appointments will be done online at least through April 9. No face-to-face tutoring will be offered until April 10, even for students who remain on campus. If the university extends virtual instruction beyond April 9, we will update you accordingly.
3) Any existing face-to-face appointments that writers have already made will be converted to online appointments.
4) We will continue to honor our current hours of operation. We will be open Sunday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
5) For those of you new to online tutoring in the SJU Writing Center, this video provides some basic information: https://sites.sju.edu/writingcenter/face-to-face-tutorials/
Please note one difference: We will allow tutors and writers to enable video and audio for their tutorials if both parties are able and willing to do so. We understand that not everyone has access to devices, and connections, that allow for these features. Tutors who are able to offer them will ask you at the start of the session if you would like these functions enabled.
6) You can follow us on Twitter or Instagram @sjuwrites for the latest announcements.