The university has moved from its unsupported, internally hosted, Google Search Appliance to a cloud based solution, Google Custom Search engine (GCS).
The new Google Custom Search (GCS) provides:
- Better and quicker search results
- Easy and powerful search administration.
Search indexing statistics, logs, and integration with Google Analytics, provides relevant feedback which is used to improve Google’s central index, providing better search results from google.com as well as the result using sju.edu/search and the search box at the top of all university pages.
With this information we can use GCS’s advanced features to make sure users are getting the information they need when they need it.
- Advanced search features, including Promotions, which displays results, based on key words or time periods, at the top of the search results with a brief description, image, and custom appearance such as borders and background colors.
- Autocomplete, helps users get results quickly by displaying useful queries as soon as they start typing in the search box.
- A less expensive solution (free for universities)
SJU’s search collection includes all the web pages in these domains:
IT Web Services along with University Communications configures and maintains the Google Custom Search Engine. Secure sites/pages, mySJU, and certain file types are not being indexed.
If you have any questions about the new search engine or request help on adjusting page results, please submit the request to email@example.com. Due to GCS limitations, we cannot accommodate all requests to change search results.