Saint Joseph’s University Summer Literacy Camp, under the direction of Dr. Catherine M. Pinto-Gibbons, provides children with individualized assessment profiles, small group instruction and collaborative literacy learning focused on higher-level thinking. The program is designed to serve all types of emergent, elementary and middle school students in the Philadelphia area, ranging from struggling readers to those who are in need of challenge and enrichment. Current literacy research will guide all instructional and reinforcement activities being implemented by certified teachers. Enrollment is limited and acceptance is on a first come, first served basis.
Our instructional program is designed to promote higher order thinking and motivation to read and write through:
- An emphasis on encouraging thoughtful responses to text to foster success on standardized achievement tests.
- The development of reading fluency linked with growth in comprehension.
- The integration of the essential language skills of reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- The development of sight vocabulary within the framework of coherent word recognition strategies.
- An emphasis on research-supported transactional reading comprehension strategies developed through a balance of literature and informational text.
- Use of technology in the creation of student developed academic materials.
Mandatory pre-testing will be held on Monday, June 25th, 2018. You will be contacted as to the time and place for your child’s testing. Testing will be conducted between the hours of 10am and 3pm. Instruction begins on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 and continues until Thursday, July 26, 2018. Classes start promptly at 8:45 A.M., (students should be there by 8:30 A.M.) and are held normally Monday through Thursday until 11:55am. All students are picked up promptly at 12:00 noon. All classes are held in Merion Hall on Saint Joseph’s University Maguire Campus. In order for your child to benefit from the language arts instruction, it is imperative that they attend daily. Daily attendance will promote your child’s literacy growth and enable your child to complete all progress monitoring and testing.
The fee for the Summer Reading Center is $500. This total includes a $425 testing and instruction fee and a $75.00 non-refundable registration fee which is required with each application in order to reserve a space in the center. For parents who are sending more than one child, there is a reduced fee by $100.00 per additional child. This reduced fee will be deducted from the balance due (not from registration fee).
Early Bird Special: If you complete the online registration form with full balance received before Friday, March 30, 2018, you will receive a $25.00 discount.
The online registration form with full balance due is by Friday, May 25, 2018. For further information, please call Anglean Sampson at 610-660-1583.