Registration for the Summer Literacy Camp is now closed
Under the direction of Dr. Catherine M. Gibbons, Saint Joseph’s University Summer Literacy Camp, provides children with individualized assessment profiles, small group instruction and collaborative literacy learning focused on higher-level thinking. The program is designed to serve all types of emergent, elementary and middle school students in the Philadelphia area, ranging from developing readers to those who seek challenge and enrichment. Our certified teachers use cutting-edge literacy research to create instructional and reinforcement activities that increase comprehension and retention. Enrollment is limited and acceptance is on a first come, first served basis.
Our instructional program is designed to promote higher order thinking and motivation to read and write through:
- An emphasis on encouraging thoughtful responses to text to foster success on standardized achievement tests.
- The development of reading fluency linked with growth in comprehension.
- The integration of the essential language skills for reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- The development of sight vocabulary within the framework of coherent word recognition strategies.
- An emphasis on research-supported transactional reading comprehension strategies developed through a balance of literature and informational text.
- Use of technology in the creation of student developed academic materials.
Instruction begins on Thursday, June 25, 2020 and continues until Thursday, July 23, 2020. Classes start promptly at 8:45 A.M., (students should be there by 8:30 A.M.) and are held normally Monday through Thursday until 11:55am. All students must be picked up promptly at 12:00 noon. All classes are held in Merion Hall on Saint Joseph’s University Maguire Campus.
The testing dates are Monday, June 22 (10 -3 pm), and Tuesday, June 23, ( 8:00 a.m. -12:00 pm) Instruction begins Thursday, June 25, 2020.
In order for your child to benefit from this program, it is imperative that they attend daily. Daily attendance will promote your child’s literacy growth and enable your child to complete all progress monitoring and testing.
The fee for the Summer Reading Center is $500.
Early Bird Special:
If you complete the online payment and registration form by Saturday, March 27, 2020, you will receive a $25.00 discount. *Early Bird Special applies to new registrants only. Returning students, students from Gompers, Catholic schools and SJU employee’s children do not qualify for this discount.
For further information, please call Anglean Sampson at 610-660-1583.