In order to apply for a position in the 2018 Summer Scholars program, complete the following:
- Make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You are currently enrolled as a full-time, day, undergraduate student in either CA&S or HSB.
- You are not enrolled in the HSB COOP program.
- You will not be a graduating senior in May, 2018.
- You will be registered for SJU course work for the Fall of 2018.
- You have, as of the end of the Fall, 2017 semester, a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- There are no other issues (i.e. visa status) that prevent you from receiving payment for work.
- Review the list of volunteer faculty mentors and identify faculty engaged in projects that you find interesting. Schedule an appointment to meet with those faculty and discuss the possibility of working with them. In order to apply to the program you MUST identify a faculty member who is willing to serve as your mentor.
- Once you have identified a faculty mentor, begin the process of formulating your proposal. Proposals consist of the following sections:
The entire proposal should be no more that 2 pages in length.
- Title of the proposed project
- Your name
- Any relevant courses you have already taken
- Background information for the proposal (one to a few paragraphs)
- A description of the proposed project, methods to be used, etc. (this can be up to a page and is the most important section of the proposal)
- A description of any work already performed by you on the proposed project.
- Name and contact information for your faculty mentor
While you should work closely with your prospective mentor in formulating the proposal, the proposal is to be written by you, not your prospective mentor.
The SJU Writing Center staff is ready and willing to help you to write your proposal. Please visit their website for hours, locations, and to make an appointment.
- You can download sample proposals from previous years using these links
|Accounting||Fine & Performing Arts||Biology|
|Foreign Languages and Literatures||History||Marketing|
- Recommendation must come from your proposed mentor. You will need to supply the name and contact information of the person who will be serving as your mentor when you complete the on-line application. The mentor will then be contacted by us and they will be able to submit their letter electronically.
- The application system will open on December 4th, 2017, and will remain open until 11:59 pm on Monday, February 5th, 2018: Once you have you have identified your prospective mentor, you have your application prepared as a word document, and you have the contact information for your prospective mentor, you may submit your application electronically through The Nest. Login to your account and navigate to the “Classes and Registration” area. On that page you should see a “Summer Scholars” channel. Click on the “Apply Now” link, fill in the required information and upload your application document. Once you have everything in, click “submit”. Please do NOT start submitting your application until you have ALL of the material ready! You will NOT be able to return later to make changes!
- Please do not submit your application until you have all of the materials and are ready to proceed. Once you submit your application you should receive a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours. If you do not receive this e-mail, contact Dr. Jean Smolen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Dr. Smolen if you have any questions about how to apply.