* Update 3/23/17: The crosswalk at City Avenue and Lapsley lane has re-opened and can now be used by pedestrians. Work continues at 54th and City.
The University has been advised by contractors that work at campus intersections, associated with establishing curb cuts and repairing damaged concrete, will commence as described below:
54th Street and City Avenue
Work will begin on Thursday, March, 9th at 9 a.m., restricting walking corridors all corners of the 54th Street and City Avenue intersection. However, a crosswalk at each intersection will be maintained.
We will provide updates to these schedules as needed.
Remember: you can become the victim of a crime at any time. Always be alert to your surroundings. Do not walk alone after dark! Call for an escort at 610-660-1111 or just dial extension 1111 from any university phone. Never get into a vehicle! The safest action to take is to run and holler to attract attention. Notify the police and SJU security as soon as possible.
Personal Safety Tips
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not leave your books, purse or bag unattended.
- Immediately report any suspicious persons to Security.
- Avoid isolated areas when studying or doing research.
- Don’t leave anything in plain sight inside your vehicle. Lock everything in the trunk.
- Call for an escort.
- Don’t leave doors unlocked and don’t prop doors open.
- Don’t walk alone at night.
- Don’t be vulnerable, appear confident.
- Stick to well-traveled, well-lit streets.
- Never get into a car.
- If you become a victim, don’t resist, comply then run and attract attention.
- Never give your name or address to strangers.
- If you attend a party go with friends you trust, tell them to never leave you alone and don’t be afraid to make a scene.