Change from Credit to Audit

Full-time students who wish to audit a course should make the arrangement privately with the instructor. Audited courses appear on the student’s grade reports and on the official record with the grade of X. The appropriate Dean may allow a student to change from credit to audit status no later than two weeks after the end of the quarter, but not to avoid penalties imposed through the University’s Academic Honesty Policy.

The reverse change, from audit to credit status, is not permitted. Complete the Change from Credit to Audit Form.

Undergraduate Change of Major

Click here for the Undergraduate Change of Major form.

Change of Information

Click here for the Change of Information form.

Course Overload

Although the usual load is five courses for a fall or spring semester, Undergraduate Day students with superior records may petition the Dean of the appropriate college for permission to carry a sixth course. No student may carry more than six courses in any semester.

Additional tuition is charged for this overload. Complete the Course Overload Form.

Course Withdrawal

Click here for the Course Withdrawal form. (Undergraduate)

Click here for the Course Withdrawal form. (Graduate)

Extraordinary Withdrawal from a Course

After the published course withdrawal period has ended, an Extraordinary Withdrawal must be requested. An Extraordinary Withdrawal may be granted to a student who is unable to complete a course, but did not withdraw by the published deadline.

Students granted an Extraordinary Withdrawal will receive a grade of “W” for withdrawn course work, which will appear on the academic transcript.

Extraordinary Withdrawals are at the discretion of, and must be approved by, the Associate Dean of the student’s college. The Extraordinary Withdrawal Form must be provided by the Associate Dean to The Registrar’s Office; students cannot submit the form.

Independent Study

Undergraduate Day students who have completed four regular (fall/spring) semesters with an overall grade point average of 3.0 (or cumulative average of 3.4 or higher for courses in the major field) may, with the prior approval of the chair(s) and Dean’s office concerned, register each semester for one upper division course in the major field (or a closely related field) to be taken in the Independent Study/Directed Readings or Research/Tutorial format.

Such courses are offered to enrich the student’s major program and not as a special arrangement to facilitate a student’s fulfillment of course or credit requirements. Additional conditions are described in Guidelines for for Directed Readings, Independent Study, and Similar Courses issued by the appropriate Dean’s office.  Complete the Independent Study Form.

Leave of Absence

An Undergraduate Day student may be granted a Leave of Absence (LOA) from the University upon application no later than the last day to add or drop a course for the term.

SJU Definition, Policies, and Conditions related to a LOA

A LOA is for students who are taking time off from their formal education, with the intent to return to SJU. Students may not take classes at another institution and transfer those credits back to SJU while they are on a LOA. When approved, a LOA is granted for one semester and may be renewed once for a consecutive semester of a total of two LOAs during a student’s time at SJU. To show continuity in the academic record, a comment of “Leave of Absence” will be placed on the official transcript for the term the student is on a LOA. Students on LOA are reported to lenders and loan service agencies as “not enrolled” and the student needs to contact lenders for information on possible repayment requirements.

During the Leave of Absence

While on a LOA, a student retains his/her active student status and remains eligible for the following privileges:

  • Retain the University requirements in place for their academic programs at the time of their first semester of enrollment
  • Access to The Nest

While on a LOA, a student is not eligible to:

  • Reside in campus housing
  • Participate in campus organizations, campus activities, or hold student leadership positions

Under certain circumstances, a hold may be placed on a student’s account at the time of the LOA preventing them from registering for future classes. The hold will be lifted when the student completes the requirements for returning from the LOA.

Returning from a Leave of Absence

When a student is returning from a LOA, the student should contact their advisor to discuss course planning and acquire the registration PIN for next semester. If a student has a hold on their account, they are required to contact the appropriate associate dean or advising center and fulfill the terms for return at least 4 weeks prior to the start of classes. The terms for return may include, but are not limited to:

  • A brief written notification from the student of his/her intent to return, confirming academic major at the time of return
  • Clearance from a treating medical professional that the student is ready for the demands of college level academic work
  • Clearance from the Bursar’s Office
  • Clearance from the Center for International Programs

A LOA is processed in the following locations:

College of Arts and Sciences Students

CAS Advising Support Center

117 Barbelin Hall


Haub School of Business Students

William F. Leahy Advising Center

150 Mandeville Hall


In making this decision, the student should consult with his/her academic advisor. Complete the UD Leave of Absence Form.

Professional and Liberal Studies students may request a leave of absence for up to two years. After two years, the student will be deactivated and will be required to re-apply to be considered for reinstatement to a program. Students are required to submit a completed Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Form.

Pass/No Penalty

This provision allows students the ability to select certain courses in which they are registered to be taken on a Pass/No Penalty basis for grading. In these cases, the final grade will have no effect on the student’s grade point average (GPA). However, credits earned will be awarded if a passing grade is attained. A P grade carries credit, but is not included in the calculation of the GPA. A NP grade carries no credit and does not affect the calculation of the GPA.

Students may opt to take a course on this basis as long as the following conditions are met:

  • The course selected is a free elective, not counting in any way toward the student’s general education requirements, or prescribed major or minor requirements. Further, students are only permitted to take two such courses under this option during their undergraduate career, and no more than one such course in a given semester.
  • The student and the course selected are on the undergraduate level and the student has attained junior or senior status at the University.

In addition to the above stipulations, students are required to submit the Pass/No Penalty Form  by the conclusion of the add/drop period for that course. Once accepted the student accepts responsibility for the course meeting the stated eligibility requirements. Upon submission of the request, the Pass/No Penalty option cannot be reversed.

Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere

Undergraduate Day students may be permitted to take courses for degree credit at other colleges and universities with the approval. Unless an approved degree program provides otherwise, no more than six such courses (of the 40 required) may be credited toward the degree, and no more than two courses may be credited each summer. Students may not take summer courses in order to advance their degree.  DO NOT register for the course until the appropriate approvals have been obtained. Transfer grades do not affect the calculation of your GPA. A grade of “C” or better is required in order for the credit to be granted. A C- grade is not adequate.

Steps to request permission to take a course elsewhere:

  • Identify a course offered at another college or university that meets your curriculum needs. Meet with your advisor and obtain approval to take the course. Please note that HSB students may see their advisor or the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 150) for this approval.
  • For courses offered in CAS, submit the Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form and a course description/syllabus to the CAS Advising Center (BL 117). The Associate Dean will evaluate the course for equivalency and consider your request to take the course elsewhere. Students will be notified via email of the Associate Dean’s decision. If approved, the form will be forwarded to Hawk Central.
  • For courses offered in HSB, submit the form and a course description/syllabus to the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 150). If approved, the form will be forwarded to The Registrar’s Office.
  • If you are seeking to take a course(s) outside of the U.S. or Puerto Rico, the approval of the Center for International Programs is also required.
  • If you are a CAS student seeking permission to take a course in your major or minor, Department Chair/Program Director approval is also required.

After approvals are obtained, register for the class. Earn a C or better in the course; request a transcript be sent to the Registrar’s Office (if electronic transcript, please send to; if hard copy, please send to Saint Joseph’s University c/o Registrar’s Office, Barbelin 106, 5600 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131).

Withdrawal from the University

Undergraduate Day

A student may withdraw from the day colleges provided any indebtedness to Saint Joseph ‘s has been settled and that he/she is not liable to dismissal because of failure or disciplinary action.

Before an undergraduate day student withdraws from Saint Joseph’s University, they should consult with their academic advisor. To complete the withdrawal process, students will submit the withdrawal form and have an exit interview with a staff member from the Office of Student Success. To begin the withdrawal process, contact or call 610-660-2956.

Required Form:  Withdrawal from Saint Joseph’s University Form

Graduate Arts and Sciences

Please contact the Graduate Studies Office at if you have questions about the academic implications of a withdraw

It is strongly suggested that you seek counsel from one of the resources listed above.

  • Selective course withdraw – withdrawing some but not all of your currently enrolled courses. Click here for instructions.
  • Not returning next semester – total withdraw from all courses with no definite plans to return to Saint Joseph’s University.
  • Extraordinary or retroactive withdraw – initiating the withdraw process after the last day of classes due to exigent circumstances. Complete the Graduate Programs Extraordinary Withdrawal Form

Professional and Liberal Studies

A Professional and Liberal Studies student may withdraw from their program and University provided any indebtedness to Saint Joseph’s University has been settled and he/she is not liable for dismissal because of an academic violation or disciplinary action. Students are required to submit a completed Leave of Absence Withdrawal PLS Form to the PLS Director of Retention and Student Success.

Haub Degree Completion

A Haub Degree Completion student student may withdraw from the university by completing course withdrawal forms for all current classes. Click here for instructions