Add/Drop a Course

Students may add or drop classes through the end of the add/drop period, which typically extends through the first week of class for full-term classes. Schedule changes made during add/drop will not appear on a student’s transcript.

First year Undergraduate Day freshmen admits

You will register for your first semester at Orientation; your advising centers will work with you to create your fall schedule if you are unable to attend Orientation.

Registration at Orientation does not require a PIN. A PIN will be assigned for when you attempt to make adjustments to your fall schedule during add/drop in the fall and for each following semester’s registration. You must meet with your faculty advisor to discuss proposed changes and obtain your PIN.

All other students who have registered for classes in The Nest

Log onto The Nest to add/drop classes after discussing changes with your academic advisor, advising center, or program director. Appropriate undergraduate day students will require a PIN for registration. Please note that your PIN does not change for the Add/Drop period. You may continue to use the original registration PIN for a given semester.

  • Log into The Nest
    • Go to the Classes & Registration Page
    • Under Registration Tools
    • Select Add/Drop Classes
    • Select the term for which you would like to Add or Drop a class
    • Select the action you wish to take
      • Select Drop Course if you want to drop an existing class on your schedule
      • Then click on Submit Changes

Click on Class Search if you want to search for classes to add.

Select the subject of the course you want to search. Click on Course Search, then click on View Sections for the appropriate course.

Click on the check box for the section you want to add. Click on Register (Note: Clicking on Add to WorkSheet does not actually register you for the class; it only puts the class in a holding area. You must click on Register to add the class to your schedule).

Appropriate Undergraduate Day students will need to enter their registration PIN at this point.

Identifying if a Course is On-line or On-campus

When viewing the class schedule, a course section that meets online can be identified in that typically the class section will begin with an “O”, for example, the section PSY 122 OL1 is online because the section is OL1.

You can also see on the class schedule that there is no day and time associated with the section. If you see a section begin with an “O” and there is a day and time associated with the section, then click on the CRN (the 5-digit number that precedes the subject). This will provide you with additional information about the section. Typically an online section with a day and time associated means there is a synchronous learning component – a day and time when students need to log on to participate in the online section.

You can search for an online section in The Nest by clicking in the Classes & Registration tab, then clicking on the Look Up Classes link.

Select a term and click on Submit.

Click on Advanced Search.

Select “On-Line” under the Schedule Type field and pull-down list, then click on Section Search to elicit a list of online sections for the term.

Viewing your Class Schedule

Log into The Nest.

Once you have successfully logged into The Nest

  • Click on the Classes & Registration tab.
  • Scroll down until you see the Academic Resources area on the right-hand side. Click on the link for “View Class Schedule”.

Withdrawing from a Course

A student who wishes to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period must complete a Withdrawal from a Course Form. A student withdrawing with appropriate permission will receive a W on his/her transcript. A student who stops attending class without appropriate permission will receive the grade VF/FA (a VF and a FA count as a F grade when calculating your GPA).

Steps to request a withdrawal from a class before the deadline to withdraw:

  • Complete the Withdrawal from Course form, indicating your reason for the request to withdraw
  • All students must sign section two of the form (a physical signature is required)
  • Undergraduate Day, PLS and HDC must meet with your faculty advisor and obtain his/her recommendation/signature for withdrawal
    • HSB undergraduate day students may substitute a signature from the HSB advising center for their advisor’s signature
    • Graduate students do not need to have this signature
  • Undergraduate Day students please take the form to your advising center (CAS Barbelin 117 or HSB Mandeville 150)
  • PLS students please take the form to the PLS office (Barbelin 117)
  • HDC students please take the form to the HDC office (fax to 610-660-1599 or email to
  • Graduate and Doctoral students please email the form to, fax to 610-660-1019 or deliver to Hawk Central (Barbelin 121)

Note:  Please see the SJU Academic Withdrawal and Tuition Refund Schedule for the last day to withdraw from a course for the current semester.

The date the University receives the notice of withdrawal shall in all cases be considered the day of withdrawal. Withdrawal from any course without official notice will result in the recording of VF/FA in that course. A student withdrawing prior to the official withdrawal deadline will receive a grade of W.

After the published course withdrawal period has ended, an Extraordinary Withdrawal must be requested. An Extraordinary Withdrawal may be granted to a student who is unable to complete a course but did not withdrawal by the published course withdrawal deadline.

Students granted an Extraordinary Withdrawal will receive a grade of “W” for withdrawn course work, which will appear on the academic transcript.

Extraordinary Withdrawals are at the discretion of, and must be approved by, the Associate Dean of the student’s college. The Extraordinary Withdrawal Form must be provided by the Associate Dean to Hawk Central; students cannot submit the form.

In no case will a withdrawal be permitted after the last day of the semester.

For more information on how a course withdrawal may impact your financial aid please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

For more detailed information regarding withdrawal policy view the University Academic Catalog.

Withdrawing from all Courses

An Undergraduate Day student wishing to withdraw from all classes must submit a Withdrawal from all Classes Form within the withdrawal period, which ends two weeks after the end of the quarter. When a student withdraws from all classes he/she is still considered an active student for the semester of the withdrawal.

Non-Undergraduate Day students should submit a Withdrawal from a Course Form for all current classes.