Advising Centers at Saint Joseph’s University
Please click on the link below to go directly to the appropriate advising center for information:
College of Arts and Sciences Advising Support Center (CAS) – Undergraduate Day Arts and Sciences students
Graduate Arts and Sciences (GAS) – Graduate Arts and Sciences students
William F. Leahy Advising Center (HSB) – Undergraduate Day Haub School of Business students
Graduate Business – Graduate Haub School of Business students
Professional and Liberal Studies (PLS) – Professional and Liberal Studies students
Haub Degree Completion (HDC) – Haub Degree Completion students
Please contact Hawk Central (firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-660-2000) if you need any further information.
How do I Know who my Advisor is?
To look up your faculty advisor’s name, log into The Nest.
- Select the Classes & Registration page.
- Scroll down to Registration Tools.
- Select “Find your Academic Advisor” in Step 2.
Select the appropriate term and your advisor should be indicated.
You can find office and contact information through the directory on the SJU website. The CAS Advising Support Center (BL 117) and the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 150) also maintain information for advisors.
Doctoral, Graduate, Professional and Liberal Studies, and Haub Degree Completion students can reach out to your program director if you do not have an assigned advisor.
Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere
Undergraduate Day students may be permitted to take courses for degree credit at other colleges and universities with the approval. Unless an approved degree program provides otherwise, no more than six such courses (of the 40 required) may be credited toward the degree, and no more than two courses may be credited each summer. Students may not take summer courses in order to advance their degree. DO NOT register for the course until the appropriate approvals have been obtained. Transfer grades do not affect the calculation of your GPA. A grade of “C” or better is required in order for the credit to be granted. A C- grade is not adequate.
Steps to request permission to take a course elsewhere:
- Identify a course offered at another college or university that meets your curriculum needs. Meet with your advisor and obtain approval to take the course. Please note that HSB students may see their advisor or the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 150) for this approval.
- For courses offered in CAS, submit the Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form and a course description/syllabus to the CAS Advising Center (BL 117). The Associate Dean will evaluate the course for equivalency and consider your request to take the course elsewhere. Students will be notified via email of the Associate Dean’s decision. If approved, the form will be forwarded to Hawk Central.
- For courses offered in HSB, submit the form and a course description/syllabus to the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 150). If approved, the form will be forwarded to Hawk Central.
- If you are seeking to take a course(s) outside of the U.S. or Puerto Rico, the approval of the Center for International Programs is also required.
- If you are a CAS student seeking permission to take a course in your major or minor, Department Chair/Program Director approval is also required.
After approvals are obtained, register for the class. Earn a C or better in the course; request a transcript be sent to Hawk Central – if electronic transcript, please send to email@example.com; if hard copy, please send to:
Saint Joseph’s University c/o Hawk Central
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131