Connect With Us
- If you're not feeling well or are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath or fever, please stay home.
- We expect that all members of the SJU community will take responsibility for their own health and safety and act in a manner that demonstrates respect and consideration for those around them, consistent with the iCARE Pledge.
- To manage the required reduced capacity for the O’Pake Recreation Center, reservations for building access will be required.
- Your reservation will be confirmed by staff when you arrive.
- Please use the provided hand sanitizer as you enter and exit the building.
- Face coverings will be required at all times when using Campus Recreation facilities and spaces, even while exercising.
- Face coverings are required on the pool deck; however, you may remove your mask upon entry to the water. When you exit the water, you must put your mask back on.
- Participants are asked to clean equipment before and after use. Additional cleaning stations will be made available near exercise equipment.
- Equipment and high-touch surfaces will be sanitized continuously during operational hours and disinfected at the end of each day by Campus Recreation staff.
Reservations are required to access the O'Pake Recreation Center, O'Pake Pool and Group Fitness sessions.
- You will be able to reserve time up to 48 hours in advance for the Rec Center, Pool and Group Fitness sessions.
- You can reserve time from your laptop or phone.
- You will receive an email confirmation and text (optional) for each reservation.
- Email confirmations will include specific information that should be reviewed prior the start of the reservation.
- You will be able to reschedule and cancel time via the email confirmation.
- If a time is not shown, that time slot is full or unavailable.
Questions? Contact us!
The O’Pake Recreation Center is open for student and employee use by reservation.
Operating hours are:
Reservations will be 90 minutes with 30 minutes in between each reservation to allow for cleaning and sanitizing.
- The Fitness Center houses powered cardio equipment including: treadmills and ellipticals as well as several functional strength training pieces and free weights.
- The Multipurpose Room (MPR) has equipment that includes: selectorized weight pieces, self powered cardio machines (bikes/ergs), free weights, and other accessories.
- Mats and some accessories are not available at this time.
- Basketball courts and locker rooms are unavailable (a changing area is available on the pool deck).
- All individuals accessing recreational facilities should limit personal belongings as much as possible. A water bottle, ID and keys are acceptable.
- Bottle fillers remain on; participants should bring their own water bottle.
The O'Pake Pool is open for use by SJU students and employees. Reservations are required.
Operating hours are:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 7:30am-2:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 4:00-6:00pm
Reservations will be 50 minutes with 10 minutes in between each reservation to allow for cleaning.
Please note the O'Pake locker room is not available at this time. Two private changing areas are available on the O'Pake pool deck. The Maguire pool and locker rooms will remain closed at this time.
Active and new memberships are deferred until Spring 2021. Questions? Contact us!
Free group fitness sessions are open to current students and employees in the O'Pake Recreation Center. Schedule and descriptions can be found HERE.
All in-person club sport activity has been deferred for the Fall 2020 semester. This fall, our club sport teams will be actively recruiting, meeting virtually, conditioning individually and planning for a return to activity in Spring 2021. For more information on our club sport program please visit: Club Sports.
This fall we will be taking a different approach to intramural sports on Hawk Hill. We plan to offer opportunities to compete in non traditional sports such as pickle ball, corn hole and ladder ball. Registration opens one week prior to each tournament.
9/5 Cornhole Tournament
9/12 Punt, Pass and Kick
9/19 Kickball Tournament
9/26 Pickleball Tournament
10/3 Wiffle Ball Tournament
10/10 Tennis Tournament
10/17 Cornhole Tournament
10/31 Kan Jam (costumes encouraged)
11/7 Basketball Skills Competition
11/8-11/14 Triathlon Week
Q: How do I access the O’Pake Recreation Center?
A: Students and employees will be required to make reservations for our fitness centers, pool, and group fitness classes. Reservations will be available up to 48 hours in advance. Participants are asked to cancel or change reservations they are unable to attend. When entering the facility or attending an outdoor group fitness class, participants will show their reservation via mobile device or print to our staff.
Q: How do I make a reservation?
A: Click HERE to make a reservation. Reservations will open up to 48 hours in advance .
Q: Do I have to wear a mask while I work out, even if I am 6 feet apart from the next person?
A: Yes- students and employees using the O’Pake Rec Center must wear a mask at all times, even while exercising!
Q: How can I access the contents of my locker from Spring 2020?
A: Please contact Alexandra Kissinger to set up an appointment to retrieve your belongings.
Q: There are two fitness areas in O’Pake now- what is offered in each space?
A: The original fitness center will have powered cardio equipment including - treadmills and ellipticals. The multipurpose room will have selectorized strength, bikes, and ergs available for use.
Q: How is Campus Recreation taking care of the facility to protect the SJU community?
A: De-densifying, distancing and disinfecting. We’ve added a reservation system to aid in de-densifying, we have spaced out equipment to adhere to social distancing and scheduled a window between reservations to allow our staff to clean each piece of equipment being used.
Q: My question was not answered here, who can I contact?
A: Please reach out to the Campus Recreation team.