One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Tiffany Feret

Tiffany Feret '15

Grad Degree:

M.S. in Education - Reading Specialist PK-12

I got a job!

Position:

Special Education Teacher

Company/Organization:

Peninsula School for Autism in Virginia

Briefly describe your role.

"I am currently a special education teacher at an autism school in Virginia. As a teacher, I strive to provide intensive, individualized instruction using teaching strategies based on the principles of ABA to target a broad range of academic, language, behavior, and life skills goals. I have a total of 7 students in my class ranging from 10 years old to 21 years old. My focus is on functional goals so when my students leave at 21, they have a better handle on money skills, shopping, cooking, dressing themselves, etc. I work mostly with students 1:1 and sometimes in groups of 2 or 3. I use assessments such as the VB-MAPP, ABBLS-R, Brigance and AFFLS. I collaborate on a daily basis with a speech therapist, occupational therapist, and the principal. In addition, I collaborate and communicate with parents to develop appropriate IEP goals! Outside of the school, we have community relationships. Some of my students go into the community for real-life experiences and to have the opportunity to practice functional skills outside of the classroom. For instance, when I have students learning the basics for money and exchanging, once they have mastered the skill in the classroom, they go to a store and apply the same skill for generalization!"

How did you get connected to your current role?

"My resume was in the Virginia Beach school system, and they found me! I was lucky enough to have the position offered to me within the next few days. Although licensed in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey, I only hold a provisional license in the state of Virginia. Once I take my exams, I will be licensed!"

How did your SJU education impact your professional goals?

"During my undergraduate program, collaboration was extremely important. I learned how to communicate with different types of personalities, and how to reach out when other people may be afraid or unaware of the importance of communication. I also teach Sunday mass to the students at my church and they were impressed with my degrees at Saint Joseph's University. They were fully aware of how important and meaningful a Jesuit education is. During my time at Saint Joe's, the conservative ambitions of the Jesuits led me on a straight line as opposed to more liberal colleges now who really don't pay any attention to particulars. My inner personal relationship with Jesus has brought me really close to the lord and like mother Mary who sees her son on the cross dying my heart goes out to the children who are autistic; especially when I see other people display a lack of grace or kindness to this population."

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

During my master's program, I participated in the summer practicum, the Summer Scholars Program, and I was a graduate assistant.