One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Reddy Uppunuthula

Surya Teja Reddy Uppunuthula '18

Grad Degree:

Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Analytics

I got a job!

Position:

Analytics Consultant

Company/Organization:

Symphony Health Solutions

Briefly describe your role.

"I work as an Analytics Consultant at Symphony Health in their Commercial Effectiveness Consulting practice. We help drive commercial activities for pharmaceutical brands before and after the brand is launched, by using machine learning and other powerful analytical strategies with our data assets."

How did you land this opportunity?

"I applied to this position through the Career Development Center's website and got a call for an on campus interview. I had an on-campus interview with my manager and director and then I was called to the company to have another round of interviews with the entire team."

How did your SJU education impact your professional goals?

"The various courses I completed in predictive modeling and machine learning and all of the analytics projects that I completed in various courses really made me confident to begin working."

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

"#MakeoverMonday is one of the reasons I have achieved what I have in the past year. Thanks to really inspiring seniors and also Dr. Kathleen Campbell for making sure to drive this initiative, which was one of my best experiences at SJU. MakeoverMonday is a weekly community-driven initiative which helps individuals working on their data skills, more specifically data visualization skills. You can walk into the Trading Room anytime on Monday and there will be volunteers there able to answer questions about MakeoverMonday. It personally made me more passionate about data and helped improve my data visualization and analytics skills. In addition, I was able to create a following on Twitter & Tableau Public through the work I did which in turn opened up a lot of opportunities for me."

What advice do you have for other international students searching for a job in the US?

"If I could offer any advice, it would be to make connections and attend all of the career & networking events that happen. I met people from my company in 3 networking sessions prior to my interviews."