One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Samantha Knapp

Samantha Knapp '19

Major(s):

Interdisciplinary Health Services

Minor(s):

Interdisciplinary Health Care Ethics

Service Commitment

Position:

Air Force ROTC Cadet

Company/Organization:

Detachment 750, Saint Joseph's University

Briefly describe your position/opportunity.

"I will be commissioning into the Air Force as an officer in May of 2019. I wanted to share my experience within the ROTC program and encourage other students to consider this path. I first learned about the program through a classmate in my Chemistry course. I was able to get in contact with the detachment here on campus, and after that, I attended the New Student Orientation Program held in August before the start of the Fall semester."

How did your SJU education impact your position or professional goals?

"In result of my Saint Joseph's University education, my passion for science and service was uprooted and allowed me to unearth my true career goal as a Physician Assistant in the Air Force. I have experienced first hand how humbling it is to be a part of something greater than myself. Every week I have the opportunity to surround myself with like-minded motivated individuals that are swearing to make the Air Force mission their mission. You do not have to have aspirations to be a pilot to join the Air Force ROTC program. There are many cadets pursuing careers in medicine, engineering, finance, law, logistics, and more!"

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

"I participated in many service learning courses throughout my time at SJU. I recently completed the course Just Health Care in Developing Nations, and I traveled to Cuba for a one week education tour with my classmates and professors for the course. We had the opportunity to tour their orthopedic hospital, senior citizens home, University of Havana, Latin American School of Medicine, Cuban Ministry of Public Health's National Center for Sex Education, nursing schools, a special education school, Loyola Center, orphanage, Bay of Pigs, gardens, markets, art centers, and more! We were able to interact with the Cuban people and understand their culture. Reflection was held each night and our primary focus was to observe the different aspects within their health care system."