From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Ryan Hurley is standing in a white room. He is wearing a suit with a striped tie.

Ryan Hurley '19

Majors:

Finance, Food Marketing

Internship

Position:

Compliance Intern

Company/Organization:

Vigilant Compliance, LLC

Briefly describe your internship and your day-to-day schedule.

"Compliance Interns at Vigilant Compliance are responsible for supporting Vigilant’s Senior Management in the administration of the Vigilant’s Compliance Program. On a day-to-day basis, I support the staff of Vigilant Compliance by helping them to implement the diversified services they provide to their investment management clients. Some of these services include Investment Advisor Compliance Services, Global Compliance Firm providing, Broker Dealer Compliance Services, Compliance Consulting, and Mutual Fund Compliance Services. I analyze documents and forms, research laws and regulations, and look for illegal activity or foul play that our clients or the companies they work with might perform."

How did you land this opportunity?

"I landed this role by hard work and determination. I have worked extremely hard in my college career to maximize my GPA and obtain skills and habits that will make me a better employee for anyone I work for. In recent years, I have held many jobs and internships to prepare and educate myself on what I wanted to do in the future. I was determined to work for this company and continuously applied to the different internship opportunities they offered. After an interview, I was offered the internship and worked the entire Fall 2017 semester. I was extremely honored to receive another offer and will be interning for Vigilant Compliance for the Spring 2018 semester as well."

What skills do you use on a daily basis in this role?

"There are a number of skills I use on a daily basis, but the two I wanted to highlight were communication skills and analytical skills. Strong communication is a necessity in every workplace in order to get things done. Interns learn so much every day at Vigilant Compliance and need to be upfront with the people they are working with to avoid any miscommunication. The employees of this company are always offering help and are extremely welcoming which helped me exponentially when coming aboard. Another huge aspect of this job is having strong analytical skills. Every day at work I am analyzing documents and forms making sure they are correct and compliant with the laws of the SEC, FINRA, etc. Having strong attention-to-detail and patience helped me to become better at analysis and perform for the company."

How did your SJU education prepare you for this opportunity?

"Saint Joe’s could not have helped more with preparing me for this internship opportunity. Most of what I do revolves around ethics and morals which is stressed every day at SJU. SJU has challenged me in numerous ways and taught me to become more of a leader and professional in the workplace."

What is some advice you would give to students who are searching for internships and jobs?

"Every job is important in some way. Even if you do not like the job or internship you land at some time, it is a learning experience and better for you in the end. Also, go into every day of work with a positive attitude and thirst for learning. You will get more out of your time and have a happier experience if you do so."