From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Paul stands in a plaid shirt with his arms folded.

Paul Karoly '17

Major(s):

Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Marketing

Minor(s):

Economics

I got a job!

Position:

Business and Technology Analyst

Company/Organization:

GlaxoSmithKline

Learning Deep Skills Through a Rotation Program.

Paul works within the US Tech Future Leaders Program at GSK. This program allows its participants to complete three, one year rotations in different areas of the company. This allows Paul to "not only gain a breadth of experience, but also develop a fine-tuned skill-set that I can bring to my landing roll after I graduate from the program," he says. "In my first rotation, I worked as a Front-End developer for our main Healthcare Professional Portal in the US. I utilized the languages of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and jQuery to develop dynamic websites for our priority brands. From this role, I rotated into an Operations Manager position where I analyze data from retail pharmacies in the US to help make strategic decisions. I could not ask for a better place to start my career!" says Paul.

Making Job Connections Through SJU

Paul first learned about the Future Leaders Program at GSK through an SJU alumna who was already employed in the program. "She had nothing but great things to say about the development opportunities and experience that she gained from her time with the company and I knew that I needed to apply," he says.

An Education that Inspires Career Aspirations, Instills Values

Paul says his education and experience at Saint Joseph's contributed directly to his career interests and helped him achieve his professional goals. Two aspects of his experience, in particular, stand out to Paul: "The first is the knowledge that I gained in the classroom. The Pharmaceutical Marketing program instilled a strong understanding of the pharma industry - including, but not limited to drug discovery, research and design, sales & marketing, supply chain and strategy - which allowed me to hit the ground running when starting my career, he says. "Furthermore, the well-rounded curriculum SJU offers allows me to bring a unique perspective in everything from everyday conversations to complex projects." "Secondly, the Jesuit values of 'men and women with and for others,' along with cura personalis, gave me clarity in 'what I wanted to do when I grew up.' GSK was the perfect fit as their values of transparency, respect, integrity, and patient-focus to help people do more, feel better, and live longer align with those of the Jesuits."

Internships That Prepare Students for Careers

While attending SJU, Paul completed two professional internships: one with IMS Health (now IQVIA) in the spring of junior year and JPMorganChase in the summer of junior year.

Advice for SJU Students

For other students deciphering their career goals, Paul says "Advice to live by: Find what gives you energy and make a career out of it."