From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Paige Santiago is leaning against a stone wall in front of green, lush plants. She is wearing a white top and smiling broadly.

Paige Santiago '19

Major(s):

English

Internship

Position:

Corporate Communications Intern

Company/Organization:

IBM

Please describe your internship and what the day to day schedule was like in this role.

"I worked with a team that focused on internal communications. There, I created blog posts about client successes, generated tweets and assisted in recording executives for internal webcasts and other video memos. Every day I would check in with my manager or other team members to see if there was anything in particular that they needed help with during the day. I sat in on team calls about twice a week, and was invited to several seminars over the summer that provided learning opportunities for interns. On a regular day I worked on the monthly email about client successes, looking at either the writing and language, or getting into the technical components of creating and sending a mass communication."

How did you land your internship?

"While applying for a great internship opportunity at IBM, a friend of mine suggested that I meet with his father, an employee at the company. We discussed my goals, and through our conversation he walked my resume and application to HR."

What skills did you use on a daily basis in this role?

"Throughout my internship I utilized my writing skills with day to day emails and blog posts. I am also proficient in Slack, a communication platform that my team was just beginning to use. I was able to show them the basics and give suggestions about how they could better leverage the tool."

How did your SJU education prepare you for this opportunity?

"Through SJU, I have met several professors and become part of several organizations that prepared me well for this opportunity. I was able to draw on knowledge from a management class that I took my freshman year, as well as use that professor as a resource during my interview process. Other organizations that I am involved with at SJU have also provided me with a community that has given me more confidence in my skills and as an individual."

What is some advice you would give to students searching for internships or jobs?

"Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new! I never thought that as an English major I would enjoy working for a big tech company, but after a summer at IBM I gained a lot of clarity on my career path and the kinds of things that I can do with my degree. I would also advise talking to someone who works in the field you are trying to get a job/internship in. Networking is important, and it can be really beneficial when you are part of a large group of applicants."