One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Nanci Henning

Nanci Henning

2018

Major:
Accounting

Internship/Job Position:
Business Tax Services Intern

Internship/Job Company:
KPMG

Tell us a little bit about your internship position:

My main responsibilities include performing Asset Diversification Testing for mutual/hedge funds, assisting on edits for state/federal returns, updating client work spaces, importing work papers and supporting documents as well as e-filing extensions.

How did you land your current position?

Attending Accounting Society meetings definitely helped to introduce me to the numerous firms involved at SJU. I was an active participant in the networking events that the firms hosted whether it was on campus or at the respective firm location. After getting to know the people and the culture of the firms, I chose to apply for the Summer Leadership Program with KPMG during my sophomore year. The two days of the program involved learning more about the firm, interviews, lots of fun 'ice breaker' games and team building activities. After two days of the program with KPMG, I was extended an internship offer to work within the Business Tax Service Line.

What is some advice that you would give to students who are currently searching for internships/who are about to do their first internship?

My main piece of advice would to be active on the Career Development Center website. During my freshman and sophomore years, I was able to intern at the National Constitution Center and McAdam Financial within their accounting departments in the summer due to postings on the website. I think it's important to seek out internships or part time positions within your major to help broaden your experiences and apply the skills that you've acquired.