Megan McKechnie is smiling in front of a blue background for a portrait. She has straight hair, and is wearing a black top with a silver necklace.

Megan McKechnie

2018

Major:
Psychology, Clinical Concentration

Minor:
Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability

Internship/Job Position:
Intern

Internship/Job Company:
Good Grief, Inc.

Tell us a little bit about your internship position:

While at Good Grief I assisted in event planning and helped come up with creative design ideas for the events. I also researched grief and ways to bring the grieving community closer through activities and helped organize/set up the facility for such activities to take place.

How did you land your current position?

I did a lot of online research on potential internship opportunities using sites such as Linkedin. I also talked to Dr. Anastasio who is in charge of the internship course for psychology majors. She was extremely helpful and supported and helped guide me through the application process.

What is some advice that you would give to students who are currently searching for internships/who are about to do their first internship?

Even if you do not meet all of the listed job qualifications for a position, apply anyway! That being said if you are very interested in a certain company and they do not even advertise that they hire interns, send them an email expressing your interest and a copy of your resume, you may be surprised with the response. Lastly, do not get discouraged just keep applying!