One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Marissa Walsh

Marissa Walsh '17

Major:
Food Marketing

Internship/Job Position:
Store Management Intern

Internship/Job Company:
ACME Markets

Tell us a little bit about your internship position:

I was placed in one of ACME Market's stores for the summer where I helped the store leadership team effectively and successfully run the store. This included everything from completing store walks, analyzing the store's P&L statement, working with vendors, daily problem solving, and much more. I also worked with other interns to create a training video for associates and execute events in my store's district.

How did you land your current position?

I met Melissa English from ACME Markets at the Spring 2016 Career Fair. Following the Career Fair, I was invited to an interview and was later offered the position. I believe that a strong first impression is very valuable. For the interview, I fully researched ACME Markets. I think the passion and interest I demonstrated, as well as my past experience, helped me to land the internship.

What is some advice that you would give to students who are currently searching for internships/who are about to do their first internship?

Go outside of your comfort zone. I always envisioned myself in a corporate internship, but this position was the opposite. I would've never thought that I would spend 12 weeks managing 100+ employees, but I learned so many valuable lessons throughout the summer. Also, be prepared to reflect and learn more about yourself in the process. The biggest lesson I learned was how to be an effective leader. This has helped me both personally and in my classes.