One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Marissa Walsh is smiling on a light couch in front of a turquoise wall. She has curly hair, and is wearing a dark cardigan with a magenta top and a silver necklace.

Marissa Walsh '17

Major:
Food Marketing

Internship Title:
Store Management Intern

Internship/Job Company:
ACME Markets

Tell us a little bit about your internship position:

"I was placed in one of ACME Market's stores for the summer where I helped the store leadership team effectively and successfully run the store. This included everything from completing store walks, analyzing the store's P&L statement, working with vendors, daily problem solving, and much more. I also worked with other interns to create a training video for associates and execute events in my store's district."

How did you land your current position?

"I met Melissa English from ACME Markets at the Spring 2016 Career Fair. Following the Career Fair, I was invited to an interview and was later offered the position. I believe that a strong first impression is very valuable. For the interview, I fully researched ACME Markets. I think the passion and interest I demonstrated, as well as my past experience, helped me to land the internship."

What is some advice that you would give to students who are currently searching for internships/who are about to do their first internship?

"Go outside of your comfort zone. I always envisioned myself in a corporate internship, but this position was the opposite. I would've never thought that I would spend 12 weeks managing 100+ employees, but I learned so many valuable lessons throughout the summer. Also, be prepared to reflect and learn more about yourself in the process. The biggest lesson I learned was how to be an effective leader. This has helped me both personally and in my classes."