From undergrads to alumni, the success stories are endless.

Bridget Goodwin

Bridget Goodwin '19

Major:

Communication Studies

Minor:

Marketing

Internship

Position:

Marketing, PR, Communications Intern

Company/Organization:

Adoptions From the Heart

Briefly describe your internship.

"I ensure all social media post are posted in a timely manner with only the best content. I work alongside the event planning team to help plan and successfully produce an event related to our organization. In addition, I generate and work on press releases along with sitting in on and initiating conference calls."

Describe your day-to-day schedule in this role.

"Each day is honestly different for me but for the most part, my main day to day is social media posting. I create content that is relevant to the theme of the week and that best suits the platform I post on. I also have an Excel sheet where I note everything I do that day and a checklist of assignments coming up. The Excel sheet is integral to the work I do daily. I log in every time I go into work. It is a great way to keep track of my assignments and stay organized."

How did you land your internship?

"I had landed my job through a website known as Indeed.com. I actually didn't have many resources outside of this because Indeed is a site that is able to pinpoint places that are in your best interest based on how you filled out your profile. From courses and seeing different ways in which I can incorporate the information learned in the real world made me want to apply for this position and Adoptions from the Heart stuck out to me from how welcoming the description made the organization sound. The opportunity really felt like it was made for me and had the components I was looking for for skill development."

What skills did you use on a daily basis?

"I used transferable skills including: communication skills, creativity, listening skills, and market analysis, and social media engagement.  In addition, I used Excel, Adobe Cloud, Canva."

How did your SJU education prepare you for this opportunity?

"The classes I had taken in Communications like Visual Rhetorics and Ethics really helped me with the design aspect and content aspect of this position. I used different skills from different software to bring to this community through social media. I also had to think creatively to design content for various social media platforms from my courses."

What is some advice you would give to students who are searching for internships and jobs?

"I would advise students to make sure they have an open mind when applying and thinking about internship opportunities. Sometimes you may not truly know what you enjoy doing and what your skills are without experiences. So keeping an open mind when seeing the job descriptions can help because, in the end, you may find a better calling for what you'd like to do with your career within that job."