One Campus. Countless Stories. That's Living Greater.

Beth Villanyi

Beth Villanyi '14

Psychology, Spanish

Latin American Studies

Graduate/Professional School, I got a job!

Grad Degree:

Speech and Language Pathology 

University of Maryland

Speech-Language Pathologist

Montgomery County Public Schools

Briefly describe your role.

"I am a speech-language pathologist in the public schools outside of DC. I manage a case load of approximately 50 students, helping them improve their speech and language skills. My case load is mainly students with autism, and I am fortunate enough to work with students with a variety of communication needs - some of my students communicate entirely non-verbally, others are working on higher level language processing, and some need support with social skills. It is an amazing opportunity to work with students who may not have access to services elsewhere, and I use my undergraduate majors of Spanish and psychology daily."

How did you get connected to this opportunity?

"I interned through the University of Maryland in this public school district. However, I became interested in the field of speech-language pathology after a psychology professor introduced me to it. He connected me to his wife, a practicing speech-language pathologist, and through shadowing her, I decided to pursue the field."

How did your SJU education impact your professional goals?

"SJU is the reason I am the person I am today. I took advantage of an opportunity through campus ministry to go to Spain, and that trip motivated me to learn Spanish. Following that, I studied abroad in Argentina, declared a Spanish major, and committed myself to using my Spanish in practice. Since graduating, I have registered low-income Spanish speakers for SNAP benefits, worked with Cuban asylees, and currently speak Spanish when communicating with my students' parents. The education I received at St. Joe's was transformational and has made me a better speech-language pathologist."

Did you participate in any experiential learning activities while at SJU?

"I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and completed an internship with the Beck Institute."