Instructions for bringing international professors or researchers to SJU for a temporary stay

Following is a list of documents the Department of States requires that we obtain in order to issue the immigration form DS-2019.  The visiting scholar will take the DS-2019 to the U.S. Consulate in their home country in order to apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa.  We recommend that academic departments start the DS-2019 application process at least four months before the visiting scholar is expected to arrive.  All the documents and confirmations can be emailed to

What we need from the academic department inviting the scholar:

  1. An invitation letter from the Dean confirming when the scholar will be joining SJU and for how long.  The letter should contain what the individual will be doing here and who he/she will report to.  It also should include what, if any, financial responsibilities SJU will have.

  2. Sponsors of visiting scholars/researchers are required to make a determination of the visitor's English proficiency using an objective measurement by means of one of the following three methods. Sponsors must retain evidence of how they measured applicants English language proficiency so that it may be made available to the Department upon request.  Inform ISS of the method chosen.
    1. A recognized English language test,
    2. Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school, or
    3. A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option
  3. Confirmation from the department inviting the scholar that the attached Department of State’s pre-arrival and orientation information has been or will be provided to the exchange visitor – see the Duty to Educate and Monitor Exchange Visitors information from the Department of State (ISS can provide the information for #7, 8, 12, 13 & 14 of the pre-arrival and #5 - 10 in the orientation information).

  4. Information on a variety of appropriate cross-cultural activities that will be made available to the visiting scholar.

What we need from the visiting scholar:

  1. A scanned copy of the main page of the visiting scholar's passport (and the passports of any dependents who will be accompanying him/her).
  2. Copies of all previously issued immigration documents (issued by the U.S. government only).
  3. Confirmation that the visiting researcher has or will have health insurance for the duration of the time he/she will be in the United States.  The insurance MUST have medical benefits of at least $100,000, coverage for repatriation of remains for $25,000, medical evacuation for $50,000 and a deductible no higher than $500 per injury or illness.  The insurance can be purchased from a company in the United States or in their home country as long as it meets the criteria.
  4. Financial documentation that shows the visiting researcher will have sufficient funds to live in the United States.  We estimate living expenses to be $1750 per month.
  5. Answers to the questions below:
  • Family name/Surname as it appears on passport:
  • First name/Given name as it appears on passport:
  • Date of birth:
  • Email address:
  • Gender:
  • City of birth:
  • Country of birth:
  • Country of citizenship:
  • Country of legal permanent residence:
  • Position in home country:
  • Intended field of research at SJU:
  • Dates of research at SJU:
  • Address & phone number in home country:
  • The last date you were in the United States:
  • The last visa status you had in the United States:
  • Names and relationships of any family members who will accompany you to the United States: