TO: All Students
FROM: Monica Nixon, Ed.D., Assistant Provost for Inclusion and Diversity
RE: DACA Information and Resources
Last week, in the wake of the federal government’s decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) executive order, University President Mark C. Reed, Ed.D., reaffirmed Saint Joseph’s steadfast commitment to support all students, regardless of their immigration status. This commitment also extends to all SJU employees.
The University has made available resources related to the DACA program, which can be found online at sju.edu/daca. The webpage links to information and guidance available through national organizations and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and will be updated as new information emerges. Of note:
• DACA and work permits (employment authorization documents) will remain valid until their expiration dates.
• No new DACA applications are being accepted or processed, as of September 5, 2017.
• DACA issuances and work permits expiring between now and March 5, 2018, must be submitted for renewal by October 5, 2017. Anyone seeking a renewal should begin the process immediately.
• Advance parole to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad is no longer available, and DHS will refund any associated fees for pending applications for advance parole. Anyone with DACA status who travels abroad for work or study will likely not be able to return to the United States.
• The University does not share private information about students or employees. SJU Public Safety officers do not inquire about or record immigration status in the performance of their duties. The University maintains a strong commitment to maintaining the privacy of student and employee records, consistent with all applicable law.
As Dr. Reed shared, we will continue to be vigilant in looking out for the marginalized within our community and continue to care for one another. Students in need of additional information can contact the Office of Student Life at 610-660-1045 or the Office of Inclusion and Diversity at 610-660-1015. Employees in need of additional information can contact Nancy DuBoise, director of employee and labor relations, at 610-660-3313 or email@example.com.