December 2018: Finals Week Self-Care Suggestions from the Class of 2021

by Thi Nguyen, Iswarya “Ice” Vel, Maria Johnson, Zoe Mrozek, Michelle Wheatley, Emily Lehman, Maura Flynn and Gianna Penezic

Before we can sit back, relax and celebrate the holidays with family and friends, we have to get through FINALS WEEK!  Depending on your test schedule and how many papers you have to turn in, that can get pretty stressful.  Here are some ways that we chill out in the face of all that work!

Thi Nguyen (Biology): As a person who absolutely loves being outdoors, one of my favorite activities in times of stress is running. It’s a great way to clear your mind while increasing your fitness. In addition to having the opportunity to be out in nature, running with friends always makes the experience more fun!

Iswarya “Ice” Vel (Biology / Business Intelligence & Analytics): My favorite way to de-stress during finals week is to give myself breaks during my studying. I either like to watch TV shows or go out for something to eat with my friends. My favorite show to watch right now is Parks and Recreation. My favorite place near campus to get food is Honeygrow. These breaks give me the chance to forget about the tests that are coming up!

Maria Johnson (Biology): Something about making lists makes that huge pile of work seem just a little less daunting. During a time when it feels like I have to do everything at once, making a list of the tasks ahead helps me focus, prioritize and (most of all) stop worrying. Not only do I feel a sense of accomplishment once I check off an item, but also I am far less likely to forget something. When I make a list, everything I need to do is clear and concrete, and I can break my work down into manageable tasks instead of trying to tackle everything with no plan.

Zoe Mrozek (Biology): My favorite way to de-stress during finals week is to head to my favorite place on campus for a little bit: Wolfington! Nothing makes me feel better during the craziness of studying for exams than sitting in the community room by the fireplace, hanging out and laughing with friends. And during this time of the year, Wolfington is always decorated and stocked with hot chocolate to remind me that Christmas is coming soon!

Michelle Wheatley (Mathematics): My favorite way to de-stress is to go to the gym. I grew up in the gym, and so being there is very relaxing for me. I try to go at least a couple of times a week because, for me, going to the gym is my self-care time. Practicing self-care, especially during finals, is one thing that definitely keeps me sane. Plus, going to the gym keeps me healthy, which is super important in college.

Emily Lehman (Physics): De-stressing during finals week is nearly impossible, but what brings me a little closer to sanity is making to-do lists for the day. I write large projects, like Study for my Physics Final, and small tasks, such as Make Breakfast. The sense of accomplishment I get from checking off even simple items really helps motivate me to continue on with the day’s work. If I’m overwhelmed at all, I will simply add items I have already completed and check them off.

Maura Flynn (Biology / Psychology): My favorite way to de-stress is to listen to throwback songs, such as songs from High School Musical or Hannah Montana. My roommates and I like to dance around in our apartment. We always end up laughing our heads off, which is truly the best medicine. Being surrounded by my best friends and roommates makes me remember the joys in life and anything I’m stressed about is quickly forgotten or made smaller. This is one of the many benefits of being able to live with your friends.

Gianna Penezic (Biology): My favorite way to de-stress is to grab a bite with a group of friends. I always feel so much better chatting and laughing with my girlfriends in between hitting the books during finals week! Being able to rant to each other or reminisce about shared experiences always puts me in a better mood and refreshes me for when I have to get back to work. Also good food always makes my day better!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND OUR BEST WISHES FOR A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!