McNulty Class of 2019: Our Favorite Memories of SJU

by Ashley Frankenfield, Elise Brutschea, Lakshmi Narayanam, Kaleigh Williams and Jamilyn Mooteb

Ashley Frankenfield (Chemical Biology/Finance): One of my favorite memories here on campus was the opportunity to learn darkroom photography. Since I was young, I would always insist that my parents let me borrow their camera while on vacations. I’ve always loved photography and knew that I wanted to take a photography course for my art/lit requirement here at SJU. During my junior year, I finally got the opportunity. Over the course of a semester, I spent numerous hours in the darkroom trying to perfect techniques. My time in the darkroom was filled with laughter and numerous conversations with my classmates, and ultimately it set me on the path to grow as an artist.

Elise Brutschea (Chemistry): Having sent the past three years here at Saint Joe’s, I’ve made countless memories. One of my favorite memories is my first day in a research lab. I started working in Dr. Mark Forman’s research lab during the Summer Scholars Program between my freshman and sophomore years. Dr. Foreman studies the effects of bond-angle distortion on alkenes, a class of molecules that contain carbon-carbon double bonds. I remember how nervous I was. My hands were shaking whenever I would hold an Erlenmeyer flask or beaker. I remember how intimidating and smart the seniors who were training us seemed. I remember how daunting the lab procedures seemed, and how it felt like I would never remember what to do.  Looking back now, being a senior who has just trained new lab members this summer, I have really come to appreciate the past two years of learning through research. I have grown in confidence, and that first memory of lab really reminds me of just how much I have learned at SJU.

Lakshmi Narayanam (Biology): As I walked into my apartment, I was astonished to see decorations, balloons and food laid out as if there was going to be a party. A moment later, all my friends popped up from behind the counter and yelled “Surprise!” I was shocked that they had all taken the time and effort to plan out a fantastic party for my 21st birthday. Earlier in the day, I was feeling a little down because I was not spending my special day with my family. I didn’t think that anyone would really care that it was my birthday. After seeing the homemade nacho bar and special playlist including all my favorite songs, it dawned on me how my friends at Saint Joe’s are basically part of my family now. My friends are amazing and I have Saint Joe’s to thank for bringing these incredibly kind and caring people into my life.

Kaleigh Williams (Biology): As someone who is aspiring to be a veterinarian, my favorite memories of SJU have been formed while working in the Biodiversity Lab.  This lab houses many different types of animals, ranging from exotic fish species to endangered turtles. When I begin working in this lab my sophomore year, I instantly grew to love many of the animals in the lab.  While I do enjoy caring for them inside the lab, I prefer for them to live and thrive in the wild in their natural habitat. While this is not possible for some of the turtles in the lab (due to their endangerment statuses or natural environments) we have been able to release some of our turtles around the Philadelphia area, as well as in North and South Carolina.  My absolute favorite memory at SJU was when we released a few of our beloved snapping turtles into the wild. Seeing them swim off and enjoy their new home in the wild brought me great joy. Being able to see an animal go from a confined living space to a completely open and free living area was absolutely amazing.  Because of this experience, I hope to continue to rehabilitate and release wildlife in the future.

Jamilyn Mooteb (Physics): During my time here at SJU–away from my home in Yap, Micronesia–I have finally experienced the harshness of snow.  Every winter since I have been here, snow has whipped across my face. I have slipped on the ice and sludged in wet socks through snowdrifts.  Every year when the temperature drops, I start complaining to my friends about all things cold. Despite my negativity towards the cold, I have grown to enjoy one aspect of snow: just how fun you can have playing around in it.  The first time I had fun in the snow was during my freshman year, when I went sledding at Sweeney Field with a red sled, a couple pieces of cardboard and a small group of friends. The only way you could tell that it was a sports field was when you noticed the snow-covered bleachers and lights watching us from above.  We laughed. We slid around. We threw snowballs.  From that day on, I didn’t mind the snow so much, and now I have many more great winter memories in the snow here at SJU.