McNulty Class of 2020: How We Eat Right to Stay Healthy in College!

by Amelia Bielefeld, Annamarie Glaser and Lindsay Miller

As college students, returning to campus after winter break can be stressful and overwheming, with classes, work, labs and the multitude of other activities we are all involved in. Running around campus, it’s easy to forget to eat, let alone eat properly. The pressure of New Year’s Resolutions helps to hold us accountable with our diets and exercise (at least in January), but as the weeks go on, these resolutions get lost.  It’s easy to settle for convenience over health.

However, we know we perform our best when we feel our best, so it’s important to prioritize self-care and health.  Now that we’re sophomores, we all have kitchens in our apartments and we can cook for ourselves. We love having control over what we eat and how prepare it.  Below are some of our go-to recipes for healthy meals:

Annamarie Glaser (Biology): With my busy schedule, I’ve sadly found it hard to cook in my apartment this year.  However, when I do find time in the morning, one of my favorite breakfasts is a bowl of steel cut oats packed with fruit; it’s a really delicious but simple meal that keeps me full through back-to-back classes, and it gives me the energy to start my day!

Steel-Cut Oats with Fruit

Ever since I was young, I have always preferred to cook my own oats, as opposed to using instant oatmeal. It takes much longer to cook, but the taste and texture are worth it, not to mention that instant oatmeal can have extra sugar and other unhealthy additives.  To start, I boil 1 1/2 cups of water on the stove in a saucepan. Once the water has started boiling, I lower the temperature and add about a 1/4 cup of oats.  The oats can take anywhere from 25 – 40 minutes to cook.  To prevent them from burning, I stir them for a few seconds every 5 minutes.

Once the oats have about 5 minutes left, I add in fruit, usually about 1/2 cup of raspberries and blueberries and 1/2 of a banana, sliced.  Stir them so the oats can absorb some of the fruit flavors. Once the oats are done cooking, let them sit for 5-10 minutes to cool.  And then….EAT!

The best part of this meal is that it’s low-effort and easy-to-change. Some days, I add more oats, and other days, I load up on fruit.  It’s critical to start your day off making the right choices, especially with the busy schedule of a STEM major!

Lindsay Miller (Mathematics / Actuarial Science)

Personally, I eat eggs almost every day.  They take minutes to prepare and can be customized to fit anyone’s taste. I mix up my egg recipes frequently…but my go-to is an Egg Sandwich.

Egg Sandwich

First, I turn the stove on medium and warm a frying pan. While I’m waiting, I put a whole wheat sandwich thin in the toaster and mash a medium avocado in a bowl with the juice of a 1/2 lemon. When the sandwich thin is toasted, I cover both pieces in hot sauce (you can never have too much hot sauce) and spread about a quarter of the avocado on one of the pieces.  Next I dice about a quarter of an onion and half of a red pepper and let them cook in the pan. When they begin to brown, I add about half a cup of liquid egg whites to the pan and let the mixture cook.  When the eggs are done, I add them to my sandwich and enjoy!

Nothing about this meal is precise, which lets me quickly approximate all of the ingredients. Substitutions can easily be made based on what I have on-hand or what I’m feeling that day.  For me, I usually alternate between using egg whites and two whole eggs cooked over medium heat, and I throw in mushrooms if I have them.  The key to sustaining a healthy diet is finding whole, fresh foods that you enjoy eating and can easily prepare no matter how busy the day.

Amelia Bielefeld (Biology)

Something my mom used to cook quite often while I was living at home was Roasted Chickpeas. It’s a relatively quick recipe and very easy to accomplish, even without any cooking experience at all.  I have been using the recipe quite frequently this year, since I do not have much time to spend preparing meals. It’s also really really simple!

Roasted Chickpeas

To begin, preheat your oven to 450 F.  I typically buy 2 cans of chickpeas at the store to make at once.  Next, you must drain the liquid from the cans and lay the chickpeas out on a baking sheet.  Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray or you can lay the chickpeas down on some parchment paper.  Blot the chickpeas with paper towels to get any excess liquid off.  You season them with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix them around to evenly coat them. You can even add some cayenne pepper or siracha to spice them up!

When the oven is ready, place the chickpeas inside and bake them for about 40 minutes or until crispy.  And you’re done!

This recipe makes a lot of chickpeas in a short amount of time, so it makes a great snack for the week.  It’s the perfect recipe for someone always on the go, like a typical college student!!!