McNulty Class of 2021: Holiday Specials on your Christmas List? Here’s what to watch…

by Thi Nguyen, Iswarya Vel, Maria Johnson, Zoe Mrozek, Michelle Wheatley, Emily Lehman, Maura Flynn and Gianna Penezic

As the happiest time of year rolls around, we are enjoying our favorite holiday movies while snuggled up in our PJs and sipping a warm cup of hot cocoa (while studying for finals during commercial breaks, of course!). Here’s what we have to recommend for your viewing pleasure:

Thi Nguyen (Biology): One of my favorite holiday movies is Home Alone. Home Alone tells the story of a mischievous and fun loving eight year old boy, Kevin McCallister, who accidentally gets left behind when his family leaves for Christmas vacation. It gets more interesting when two burglars arrive in an attempt to rob the McCallister home while his family is away. Kevin takes it upon himself to protect the house. Overall, the movie has a great blend of humor and holiday spirit. It’s fun to watch and laugh at the predicament that Kevin and the burglars find themselves in!

Iswarya Vel (Biology): Whenever the holidays come around, I never feel complete until I watch my favorite holiday movie Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I have been watching this movie ever since I was a child, and it always puts me in the holiday spirit! It tells the story of a reindeer named Rudolph who was born with a special red nose. Rudolph was ostracized because of his different nose. He then embarks on a quest of self-discovery and figures out that his nose is what makes him special, especially when Santa needs him to navigate stormy weather on Christmas Eve.

Maria Johnson (Biology): My favorite holiday movie is The Polar Express. Everything about the movie just brings to life the magic of Christmas, and I remember watching the train station outside my window, robe on, hoping the Polar Express would come with steaming cups of hot chocolate and lots of other kids all waiting to see Santa.  Even now, it’s still fun to watch the movie (which I do every Christmas Eve) and relive the magic and fun of the holidays.

Zoe Mrozek (Environmental Science): My favorite movie during the holiday season would also have to be The Polar Express! It never fails to get me in the Christmas spirit. I remember the first time I saw it, I was in kindergarten and the train’s journey to the North Pole was truly magical. That year on Christmas Eve, and for many years after, I wished that the Polar Express would stop by my house and take me on a trip to see Santa. Every winter now, I look forward to watching this movie with my family and reaffirming my belief in the magic of Christmas!

Michelle Wheatley (Mathematics): One of my favorite holiday movies is A Charlie Brown Christmas. I remember sitting and watching it with my family so many times during Christmas seasons over the years, and it always fills me with happiness.  Charlie Brown is probably my favorite character because he goes out of his comfort zone to direct the play, and sticks with it although it’s tough.  The Christmas spirit works its magic at the end, and everything works out! Charlie Brown movies have been a tradition in my family since I can remember, so it’s one of the cornerstones of celebrating Christmas for me.

Emily Lehman (Physics): My favorite holiday movie has got to be The Year Without a Santa Claus. This movie is not only a classic claymation, but a heartwarming (and “global warming” for that matter) story about the presuppositions of kids all over the world. I find this movie really humbling in a sense because it reminds me that gifts, while nice, should not be expected or assumed.  Also, the constant battle between Heat Miser and Snow Miser really resonates with my sense of existential dread about the changing of the seasons.  Plus, their rap battle is a really catchy tune and has become my go-to song of the holidays!

Maura Flynn (Biology): My favorite holiday movie is The Ultimate Christmas Present. It’s a Disney original movie about two girls who steal a snow machine from Santa Claus.  They create a blizzard in Los Angeles, which in turn causes many problems.  I love this movie because I can remember eating cookies and sucking on candy canes while watching it with my two older sisters.  It’s the perfect indoor activity when the weather gets frosty.

Gianna Penezic (Biology): My favorite holiday movie would have to be Elf starring Will Ferrell. It is so quirky and adorable, not to mention hysterical! I always feel so good after watching it. It never fails to put me in the Christmas spirit, and I can quote pretty much the entire thing! I mean, how could you not feel happy when watching Buddy eat candy-covered spaghetti or cause a rampage all throughout the Christmas Village in Macy’s, or prance around the streets of NYC without a care in the world? I feel as though everyone should strive to be more like Buddy the Elf, during the holiday season and throughout the rest of the year as well.