November 2017: Our Favorite Places to Eat in Philly & Why! By McNulty Class of 2019

by Ashley Frankenfield, Elise Brutschea, Lakshmi Narayanam, Kaleigh Williams and Jamilyn Mooteb

After a long week of eating on campus…or whipping up ramen noodles or mac n cheese night after night…we all look forward to getting out into Philadelphia to eat.  And by now, it’s safe to say we have definitely found our favorite places around town.  Take note and remember these suggestions when you join us next year on Hawk Hill!

Ashley Frankenfield (Chemical Biology & Finance): Philadelphia’s South Street has a lot of quaint restaurants. In particular, my favorite place to eat is Nomad Pizza.  This restaurant focuses on serving artisan pizza from the highest quality of ingredients. Also the restaurant itself has a contemporary vibe.

Elise Brutschea (Chemistry): There is no debate that my favorite restaurants are Italian. I am a sucker for Italian food, and I constantly eat pasta for lunch and dinner. So my favorite place to eat around Philadelphia is Pica’s Restaurant in Upper Darby, PA. Pica’s pizza is delicious!  It’s square and the cheese is underneath the sauce (YUM!). But if you are going to go to Pica’s, you have to get their fresh, homemade pasta. I usually get Veal Marsala with Penne Pasta (in the Marsala sauce, of course) but anything you get there that has pasta will probably be the most delicious thing you will ever have in Philly. Not only is their food amazing, their service is outstanding. I always feel at home there, and I love to take my time at a restaurant and they never rush me. Pica’s is a must for anyone in the area!

Lakshmi Narayanam (Biology): I have tons of favorite places to go in Philadelphia because there are so many amazing authentic-style restaurants. My absolute favorite place is near Penn’s Landing, a Mexican restaurant called Las Bugambilias. It is a little cramped but the food is so delicious, I keep going back.  I always get the nachos because they have the best melted cheese I have ever tasted. The quesadillas and enchiladas are also great because they are made with fresh ingredients! They also have authentic Mexican sodas that are interesting to try. After a great meal, I love walking across the street to the Spruce Street Harbor Park. There are beautiful lights, food trucks, hammocks and music that you can enjoy for the rest of the night.

Kaleigh Williams (Biology): I absolutely love the Philly food scene and all it has to offer. One place in particular that I love to eat at is Double Knot in Center City. At first, this restaurant appears to be a young, fun hipster coffee shop that offers amazing specials on small dishes in the early evening. However there is a secret underground restaurant which is very fancy and has some of the best food I have ever tasted. When I finally got the opportunity to explore downstairs, I was amazed at how great the service was and how awesome the food tasted. I ordered three different types of sushi, edamame and a roasted mushroom dish that was to die for! The underground restaurant is very dark and mysterious, but in my opinion, it added to the experience. Even if you do not have time to adventure into the lower part of Double Knot, the upper restaurant has a very welcoming vibe too.  Every single person I have met there has been very kind. I would definitely recommend visiting this spot when you find yourself in Center City.

Jamilyn Mooteb (Physics): I love discovering new places to eat and enjoying new blends of flavors. Regrettably, I have not fully explored Philly’s food scene, despite exploring the city in my spare time over the summer. Despite this, I have a soft spot for California Pizza Kitchen on City Avenue (near SJU). It was one of the first restaurants I visited when I first arrived here.  Pizza Kitchen has great food selections and projects a peaceful, calm aura–perfect for a relaxing outing with friends!  If you’re daring with your appetite, another personal favorite is the Reading Terminal Market in Center City. Little shops and mini-restaurants are nestled so close together, it’s like wandering into a small village. The cuisines are so diverse–you can always find what you’re craving! I hope you visit these places and satisfy your own appetites!