September 2016: I Know What You Did Last Summer….Class of 2019

2019cohort

L-R: Ashley Frankenfield, Elise Brutschea, Lakshmi Narayanam, Kaleigh Williams & Jamilyn Mooteb

It’s quiet here on the SJU campus–and in the Science Center laboratories–while our McNulty students are away over the summer. We always wonder just what keeps them busy when they aren’t with us.  So we asked them when they returned to campus this school year.  And the Class of 2019 happily shared their favorite ways to spend time when they aren’t hitting the books:

Ashley Frankenfield (Chemical Biology)

A student at any university is likely to explore her surroundings, and I love being in Philadelphia.  For me, when I have time to spare, I love to explore South Street because of its unique vibe.  I never miss a chance to visit the Magic Gardens, which is a row home that has been completely outfitted in mosaics by Isaiah Zagar.  Even if you have already seen this amazing space, I highly recommend making it a regular stop on your walk through town. Mr. Zagar is always changing things around so there is something new to see.

Elise Brutschea (Chemistry)

brutschea1

I am a huge Disney fan, and I have spent so much time watching movies since the most recent upload of Disney movies to Netflix.  One in particular that I love to watch over and over is Zootopia. The catchy theme song of the movie by Shakira is what made me watch it in the first place. The movie is centered around a bunny, Judy Hopps, who dreams of moving away from the family carrot farming business to become a cop in the famous Zootopia city where animal predators and prey live together peacefully. She goes against the advice of everyone, and graduates at the top of her class in the police academy. When she is assigned to Zootopia, she is filled with joy until she gets stuck with parking duty.  The story takes a mysterious turn when she tries to find a missing otter, but the movie is so much more than that.  It makes strong points about discrimination and the power of fear.  Zootopia is a must-see for any age, as on its basic level, it’s light-hearted and fun for children, but teens and adults will understand the the movie’s messages about the world at large.  It’s a fun, thought-provoking movie that I would recommend to everyone and anyone!

Lakshmi Narayanam (Biology)

narayanamFinding Dory was the most anticipated movie of the summer!  The audience ranged from little kids to students in college.  Finding Nemo was a childhood favorite for a lot of us, so it was thrilling to know that Finding Dory was coming out soon.  No college student had shame in buying a ticket to watch Finding Dory! Throughout the film, there is such a strong theme of family.  Finding Dory exemplifies how family will always support you and how family will always be there for you.  Family isn’t just anyone who is a blood relative but also someone who you can count on.  By the end of the movie, I was in tears because it touched my heart to see how hopeful Dory’s parents were.  Even though Finding Dory is a chlldren’s movie, eveyone can learn from such a funny, whole-hearted film.

Kaieigh Williams (Biology)

williams1This summer, I was fortunate enough to travel to Iceland for a two week vacation with a friend’s famly. We stayed with his grandmother and aunt, who barely spoke English, so I was able to fully immerse myself in the Icelandic culture.  Every day was a new adventure.  One morning, we woke up and walked to the black sand beach and hot spring to go swimming.  The next day, we took an hours-long drive to see the countryside.  And of course, we hit all the tourist spots in the Golden Circle.  My absolute favorite part of the trip was when we took a ferry from Reykjavik to the Westmen Islands for a family reunion.  The Westmen Islands has a population of 3,000 people (only a little larger than my high school!), and more than 500 family members attended this reunion.  We took over the island! We hiked a volcano, walked behind waterfalls, ate whale and even saw real-life puffins.  I can honestly say this was a trip I will never forget!

Jamilyn Mooteb (Physics)

mooteb1

This past summer, my teacher recommended a book about math for me to read.  At first, I thought that I would end up reading a boring textbook and was not looking forward to it, especially over the summer, a time to relax after my first year of college.  I started reading the book, A Mind for Numbers by Barbara Oakley, PhD, and immediately found myself intrigued.  This book provides insight into how to excel in math and science courses.  It also made my short list of favorite books because of how much it has helped me change my study habits.  Last year (my first year at SJU)  I struggled with time management.  While A Mind for Numbersfocuses more on math and science, it actually offered surprisingly effective study strategies for all of my classes.  I am grateful to my teacher for making this recommendation, and am excited to put some of my new study tactics to use this semester.