It's incumbent on you to be the pioneers in your fields by living boldly, ethically and by showing how to support one another.

Anne Welsh McNulty

As we celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the McNulty Scholars Program, I want to take this opportunity to thank Anne Welsh McNulty and the McNulty Foundation for their keen insight and generosity to create a program that is quite unique.  Its emphasis on research, mentorship and leadership development at the undergraduate level is unprecedented. My hope is that in the next decade, we can continue to see a cultural shift that celebrates women's accomplishments in the STEM area, and be witness to a program that can take credit for helping it to happen.

Paul J. Angiolillo, Ph.D., Director

The McNulty Scholars Program Celebrates a Decade of Impact

LISA MARIANI '14
B.S., Physics; B.A., Theology

I am a Ph.D. candidate in mechanical engineering and applied mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania, working under the direction of Dr. Kevin Turner.  My thesis focuses on 3D printing of cellulose nanofibril materials and characterizing their mechanical properties, with particular emphasis on stiffness, strength and fracture toughness between layers.  The goal is to fabricate robust materials within composites to reduce weight and increase sustainability.  I expect to graduate in August 2019 and am planning to enter industry in research and development. 

RACHEL TROXELL '16
B.S., CHEMISTRY

I'm pursuing my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree at the University of Pittsburgh. I am currently completing a year-long clinical internship at a nearby medical center, focusing on the rehabilitation of medically complex patients.  Following my graduation in April 2019, I plan to pursue additional specialty certification.  I remain grateful to the faculty in the Chemistry Department at SJU and to the McNulty Program for equipping me with the knowledge and leadership skills to confidently enter my profession.

ALEXA GARRISON '15
B.S., Actuarial Science

Since graduation, I have worked at Prudential in both their actuarial program as an Actuarial Associate and in the asset management arm, working on portfolio analysis and financial modeling as an Investment Analyst.  Currently, I'm studying for the GMAT and considering business school in Fall 2019.  My life plans are definitely changing in the near future!

KELSEY BERGER '14
B.S., Chemical Biology

After graduating from Saint Joseph's University in 2014, I worked as a research assistant at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I continued to work on projects there as I started medical school at Drexel University in 2015. I am set to graduate in 2019, and will then start my residency training in vascular surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. I am thankful to the McNulty Foundation for the opportunity to build a background in research and to connect with women who are just as passionate as I am about pursuing careers in STEM.

MARY SZURGOT '17
B.S., Chemical Biology

I am in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics graduate group at the University of Pennsylvania. This spring, I'll be taking my Ph.D. candidacy exam. I will then spend the duration of my thesis work in the structural biology lab of Dr. Ronen Marmorstein. Here I will continue to use x-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy and other biochemical assays to elucidate the structure and function of the HIRA histone chaperone complex, a 4-protein complex which plays a crucial role in compacting DNA into chromatin and regulating the epigenetic landscape of the cell.

ISABELLA GOODENOUGH '16
B.S., Chemistry

I am currently in the graduate program at Temple University pursuing a degree in Physical Chemistry in the laboratory of Dr. Eric Borguet. My research is a collaborative project with the University of Pittsburgh and seeks to generate materials capable of capturing, sensing and degrading target hazardous chemicals, such as chemical warfare agents and toxic industrial chemicals.  I currently supervise 3 undergraduate students (all women!) in the lab. Like I did at SJU, they have a goal to publish first-author papers before they graduate.

CAROLINE STOW '17
B.S., Chemistry

I'm in my second year at Duke University in Durham, N.C., working towards a Ph.D. in Chemistry. I have joined the Widenhoefer Lab and am currently studying reactions of aromatic N-oxides with cationic gold complexes. I'm planning to complete my degree in 2022, and am unsure what the next chapter of life will hold.

GIANNA VALENTINO '14
B.S., Physics, M.S.E. Mechanical Engineering

I am a Ph.D. candidate at Johns Hopkins University, working with Professor Kevin Hemker in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. My doctoral research is focused on small-scale mechanical testing and the development of metal MEMS alloys with a balance of properties (e.g. high strength, electrical conductivity, dimensional stability and microscale manufacturability). This mechanics and materials interdisciplinary work has enabled collaborations with industry, academia  and national laboratories. I plan to graduate in 2019 and pursue a postdoctoral research position.

VALERIE JENKINS '17
B.S., Chemical Biology

I am a second-year medical student at the University of Maryland School of Medicine with many open interests for areas of specialty right now, including Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine and Addiction Medicine.  This summer, I conducted clinical research in the emergency room at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, investigating the prevalence of the synthetic opioid, fentanyl, in the opioid-using patient population, and assessing the barriers to obtaining NARCAN, the reversal agent for opioid overdoses.  I was also selected to participate in the Summer Institute for Medical Students program at the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation for Addiction Medicine in Minneapolis.  I am looking forward to taking the first portion of my national medical exams in June, and will begin clinical rotations full-time in July.

October 17, 2018: 10th Anniversary Celebration

On a crisp day right after students returned from Fall break, Saint Joseph's University leadership, the John P. and Anne Welsh McNulty Foundation, current students and their families, and alumnae came together to commemorate the 10th year of the John P. McNulty Scholars Program for Excellence in Science and Mathematics. During that time, this landmark program has supported nearly 70 young women committed to pursuing careers in STEM fields where they have traditionally been underrepresented.

Research is one of the centerpieces of this program. McNulty students have the opportunity to contribute to faculty-directed research as undergraduates, often presenting their findings at national and international academic conferences, and co-authoring articles that appear in leading scientific journals. This year, the Program has already funded students to attend the CeNeuro 2018 Meeting at the University of Wisconsin, the 16th Belgian Organic Synthesis Symposium in Brussels, the Yeast Genetics Meeting in Stanford, CA, and the Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA.  We have also seen articles by two McNulty Program alumnae published this fall in the American Society of Microbiology Infection And Immunity journal and in Frontiers in Neural Circuits.

During the evening's celebration, McNulty Foundation President Anne Welsh McNulty and keynote speaker Amy Crockett, M.D., M.S.P.H., encouraged McNulty women to "dream big and be leaders in your field, and most importantly, to help one another do the same ... Be that example while you are here [at Saint Joseph's] and be that example when you leave."

Anne Welsh McNulty

Founder, John P. McNulty Scholars Program
President, John P. and Anne Welsh McNulty Foundation

Anne Welsh McNulty is the co-founder and managing partner of JBK Partners investment management, and President of the McNulty Foundation, which is focused on developing leaders to effect social change. Anne was previously a Managing Director of Goldman Sachs and a senior executive of the Goldman Sachs Fund Strategies Group.

Anne is an enthusiastic advocate for women's leadership, actively supporting initiatives to build conscious and inclusive environments that enable women to flourish at the highest levels of careers and organizations.  Anne spurred the creation of the McNulty Scholars programs at St. Joseph's University and Hunter College to support women in STEM. More recently she has founded an Institute for Women's Leadership at Villanova University. Her writing on the subject has appeared in the Harvard Business Review, among other places.

Under her leadership, the McNulty Foundation has established several other key initiatives that support individuals who strive to make a difference.  The John P. McNulty Prize, given in partnership with the Aspen Institute, recognizes the extraordinary success of global leaders solving some of the world's most intractable challenges. And, the newly named McNulty Leadership Program at the Wharton School is pushing the boundaries of leadership and teamwork education.

Amy Crockett, M.D., M.S.P.H

Associate Professor and Director of the Fellowship Program in Maternal Fetal Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville

Dr. Amy Hairston Crockett is a physician with dual board certification in both obstetrics and gynecology and maternal-fetal medicine. She is actively involved in both research and full spectrum obstetric patient care. Her primary research interest is in racial disparities in birth outcomes.

Dr. Crockett's interest in identifying interventions in pregnancy which could address psychosocial stress and potentially mitigate the effects of social inequality led her to CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care. For this work, Dr. Crockett was recognized as the winner of the John P. McNulty Prize in 2016.

Dr. Crockett is very active in state-level maternal child health advocacy, and she serves as the clinical lead for the South Carolina Birth Outcomes Initiative. She is also the Vice Chair of the South Carolina Section of the American College of Obstretricians and Gynecologists. Her favorite job, however, is working on labor and delivery.