The Actuarial Science Program, which leads to a B.S. degree in Actuarial Science, has three goals specific to the actuarial profession:
- Maintain a high level of analytical training while providing the business perspectives and love of learning necessary for success in the actuarial science profession.
- Grant majors the opportunity to pass the first three actuarial exams by senior year.
- Ensure that students’ performance in the three areas covered by Validation by Educational Experience (VEE) is sufficient to receive VEE credit upon completion.
Distinctive Program Features and Benefits:
- Inter-college program combining coursework from both the College of Arts & Sciences and the Haub School of Business.
- Multidisciplinary program: Mathematics, Economics, Finance, and Accounting.
- Faculty with a depth of knowledge and experience in the mathematical foundations of actuarial science and risk management, as well as extensive practical experience working in the field of actuarial science.
- A rigorous curriculum required by the actuarial societies and designed to ensure that motivated students will receive credit in the three VEE areas(Economics, Accounting and Finance, and Mathematical Statistics) and have the opportunity to pass the first three actuarial exams.
- Shadow Program: Allows students to ‘shadow’ working actuaries for a day and experience first-hand the rewards and challenges of the actuarial career.
- Actuarial Internships: Paid internships at insurance companies and consulting firms are available to qualified students.
- Career Launch: Successful students receive multiple job offers at attractive compensation levels in the Actuarial Science and Financial Services fields.
- Vibrant student-run Actuarial Science Club: Sponsors company information sessions, alumni panel presentations, colloquia and presentations by prominent actuarial executives in the region; provides peer mentoring and career development support, particularly in the key areas of resume writing, career fair preparation and interviewing techniques.
- Industry Advisory Board: Composed of chief actuaries and senior executives of regional and national insurers, consulting firms, and industry rating organizations; facilitate internship and shadowing opportunities for qualified students; provide jobs for successful graduates.
- Award-Winning Students: Some of our students have won prestigious national and regional actuarial science scholarship awards. Among the more recent ones are students who won a Curtis E. Huntington Memorial Scholarship from the Actuarial Foundation in 2016 and 2018 and two students who won the 2018-2019 Casualty Actuaries of the Mid-Atlantic Region (CAMAR) Scholarships. Here is a news item about one of these students: https://www.sju.edu/news-events/news/future-actuary-ahead-schedule.
Our students have had paid summer internships at: ACE Insurance Company, Aetna, AON/ Hewiit, Automotive Resources International (ARI), ARRIS Group, Inc., Brown and Brown Insurance, Chubb Insurance, Connor Strong & Buckelew, Cigna, Continental Benefits Group Burlington NJ, D’Agostino & Briseli Financial Planning, Department of Veteran Affairs, eXude, Inc., Farmers Insurance Company, Global Indemnity Group, Inc., Harleysville Insurance Company, International Blue Cross, KPMG, Liberty Mutual, McKee Risk Management, Milliman, Inc., NMS Insurance Services, NJDEP Dam Safety, Philadelphia Insurance Company, Prudential, The Philadelphia Contributionship, Tokio Marine North America, LLC, Towers Watson, United States Liability Insurance, Versik Insurance Services Office (ISO), Wells Fargo Financial Advisors, 21st Century
Our Alumni work at: ACE, Aetna, AON/ Hewiit, Chubb Insurance, Cigna, Department of Transportation, Department of Veteran Affairs, EPIC, Farmers Insurance Company, Freedom Mortgage, Independence Blue Cross, iPipeline, Kaar Barth Associates, Liberty Mutual, Lincoln Financial Group, McKeogh Company, Milliman, Inc., Philadelphia Insurance Company, Peerless Insurance, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Prudential, Selective Insurance Company, State Farm Insurance, Tokio Marine North America, LLC, The Philadelphia Contributionship · Towers Watson, Vanguard, Verisk Insurance Services Office (ISO), Willis Re, 21st Century