University Report 2016-17

Tony Moral ’03

Assurance Senior Manager, PwC

By Marisa (Fulton) Benjamin '03

A chance encounter on SJU’s Gest Lawn determined the course of Tony Moral’s life.

One fall day during his junior year, the accounting major from Lansdale, Pennsylvania, was in the middle of a friendly game of intramural flag football on the lawn. During a break in the action, he chatted with the father of a player from the opposing team on the sidelines.

“He asked me if I had internship plans,” says Moral, who had been seriously considering an internship offer with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), though the position was outside the audit department, where he wanted to specialize. “As luck would have it, I was talking to Tony Conti ’70, who led the PwC Philadelphia office at the time. He invited me downtown to the office the next day, and I got a new offer letter — in audit. I signed on the spot, and have been with PwC ever since.”

PwC and SJU — and their intersection — have played major roles in Moral’s life. Now a senior manager at PwC, he specializes in auditing public and private companies in the retail, industrial products and utilities fields and helps teach employee continuing education courses.

Today, Moral is the one recruiting Saint Joseph’s accounting students for PwC internships.

“As an alumnus, I’m grateful for opportunities
to foster the same sense of community I felt.

“You can see how these SJU students are benefiting from such a top-tier program,” he says. “They can already speak the ‘accounting language’ as interns.

“I credit SJU with giving me a great start — outstanding accounting professors like Dr. Joseph Larkin, Joseph Ragan and Dr. Jack Haverty helped me not only in my coursework but also shared their personal insights about the industry.”

Moral makes philanthropic and volunteer involvement at SJU a priority. The Alumni Appalachian service trips (2006-11) were the brainchild of Moral and classmate Steve Klarich ’03. Moral has served on the National Alumni Board and the Class of 2003 reunion planning committee. Currently, Moral focuses on the Barbelin Society Committee, as he works to educate alumni on the importance of annual giving.

“Thanks to Dr. Reed and his administration, SJU is making investments for continued growth and success,” Moral says. “As an alumnus, I’m grateful for opportunities to foster the same sense of community I felt.

“From day one, my experience at SJU has shaped me into the person I am today, from making lifelong friends to laying the foundation for my professional career. If I can help give someone a start like I had, it’s worth it.”