University Report 2016-17

From the President

Pres Letter UR

This past fall, just a few days short of the two-year anniversary of my inauguration, I addressed the faculty and staff at a convocation on the current state and future prospects of Saint Joseph’s University. I opened by sharing that there is no place I’d rather be than Hawk Hill. The opportunity to serve as president of a comprehensive Jesuit University in the fifth largest city in America, with the breadth of academic, extracurricular, service and athletic programs we enjoy is a dream come true. It is a privilege, every day, for me to serve as president.

When I arrived in 2015, SJU was poised to make some important and strategic changes. We were ready to take the quality and profile of our incoming classes to the next level and establish new priorities and initiatives for both the near and distant future.

I charged administrative and academic units with thinking and working differently.

In a short time, we’ve seen remarkable achievement due to the enterprise and creativity of our community. Our selectivity index and academic quality indicators of incoming classes are all improving. These measures are reflected in the demand for an SJU education and in national rankings, where we have secured our place in the top tier. Our academic programs continue to rank high and garner impressive accolades.

We completed a community-driven strategic planning process, resulting in an ambitious map for our future. You’ll read more about that in this University Report. There’s a pace and a momentum building at SJU.

And now, we add the largest gift in University history — $50 million from Jim and Frannie Maguire to support the things that matter most — academic excellence, scholarship, mission and endowment.

No doubt about it, the spotlight is on. Many are wondering, “What will SJU do next?”

My appeal to the campus community during convocation was this:

Let’s be among the very best for teaching. Let’s be top 10. Let’s be recognized as a great place to work and a first-rate campus. Let’s embody our Jesuit mission in ways new and imaginative. Let’s expand our reach and recognition. Let’s be the place that makes an even greater difference.

As Hawks — alumni, parents, friends, faculty, staff and students —we must soar higher,
matter more.

Mark C. Reed, Ed.D.
President