University Report 2015-16 | Alumni

Caption!

Alumni Aid Students in Career Pursuits

"SJU Connects was a great way to have a personal conversation. … I felt more equipped to handle the law school application process and condent that my Saint Joseph’s education will make for a relatively smooth transition into law school." - Christina Rossetti ’17

Like many undergraduates, Christina Rossetti, a senior psychology major from Mount Laurel, New Jersey, first came to college without a concrete idea of her career goal.

“I was interested in law and psychology,” says Rossetti, who’s been a fixture on the dean’s list since arriving on Hawk Hill in 2013. Nearly four years later, she has discerned her career goals.

“I’ve decided to pursue law school after graduation so I can tie my passions for law and psychology into one career,” she says. “I hope to represent the mentally ill in a legal setting.”

With a destination clearly in mind, Rossetti, a member of the psychology and Spanish honor societies, was looking for a roadmap to plot her route. She turned to SJU Connects, the Alumni Association’s online career-advising platform, and sought the advice of National Alumni Board member John M. Bradley ’98 (B.S.). A University of Pennsylvania Law School lecturer, Bradley had worked as a business litigator and non-profit in-house counsel.

“Christina reached out to me about a path to law school and a career as a lawyer,” says Bradley, who is preparing to launch a consultancy in 2017 focused on leadership training, board development andnon-profit governance. “I really enjoyed the conversation. We discussed why she was interested in a legal career and the various factors influencing law school admission and success.”

Through a secure platform, advisors in SJU Connects engage students and alumni in career conversations, resume critiques and mock interviews. Since its 2015 launch, the platform has attracted 579 advisors and 611 advisees, with more than 190 connections already established.

“When I saw Professor Bradley’s accomplishments, I knew that he would be the perfect person to talk with about my future,” Rossetti says. “SJU Connects was a great way to have a personal conversation and ask him questions about legal careers, law school and law school admission.

“I gained insight into what law schools look for in their applicants and how to improve my chances of getting into schools like Penn,” she continues. “After our conversation, I felt more equipped to handle the law school application process and condent that my Saint Joseph’s education will make for a relatively smooth transition into law school.”

To aid students or alumni in their career pursuits, visit alumni.sju.edu/connects