Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance – It’s What We’re Reading

October 2016

“What We’re Reading” is a feature offering periodic reviews from Drexel Library’s staff about the books we’ve read. If you find a book which interests you and it is not in our collection, please feel free to acquire the book through our Interlibrary Loan service.

Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance

Angela Duckworth.

Angela Duckworth, PhD, a 2013 MacArthur Fellow and professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, has a biography that is, at least to me, intimidating. However, I would posit that Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance, is anything but. I found the book to be easily readable, as Duckworth employed a multiplicity of creative techniques to make her points.

From a study on the national spelling bee selection process that looks at whether grit may or may not be playing a role in who makes it to the list of finalists and then on to the eventual winners, to rating a group of historical individuals noted for their intelligence in order to drive home a point about the grit factor, the reports and interviews are interesting, varied and sometimes very personal to the point of being touching.

There are stories of modern individuals, some of whom have achieved name recognition throughout the world for their achievements. Will Smith, actor and musician, is quoted from this interview and he nails it. And while it’s unclear whether Smith is speaking literally of working out from this clip, the fact that we all know who he is, leaves no doubt that he applies this attitude to much more than the treadmill.

Learning to be flexible with mid-level goals, willing to discard them even, is necessary if we really want to achieve the larger goal or goals we have set for ourselves. At that point, applying the grit factor gives you a good recipe for success in something that is important to you.

While reading this book, I found myself thinking about my current pursuits as well as unmet goals I am passionate about and what steps I might need to achieve success in them. If you find yourself thinking the same for yourself or how some of these concepts could be applied to your repertoire of parenting skills, you may want to take a look at Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth, and see what you think. Don’t just take my word for it. You can find this book in the Popular Reading section, 1st Floor Lounge of the PLC.