The Reverend Bernard R. Hubbard, S.J. (1888-1962), was a celebrated explorer who studied geology, volcanology, ichthyology, oceanography and paleontology. From 1927 to 1962 he led over thirty scientific expeditions into regions of Alaska and the Arctic. He lectured widely and achieved considerable fame, popularizing the region prior to Alaskan statehood in 1959.
Chosen as symbols of modernity, success, and leisure, not only did these carvings refer to the transformation of American culture in the early decades of the 20th century, they also signaled a radical new beginning for Saint Joseph’s College. Newly separated from the Prep and relocated to a new campus with plenty of room to grow, these witty carvings signaled the College’s readiness to accept the changing relationship of collegiate life to education in the first decades of the twentieth century.
Eight of the thirteen Jesuit presidents who served Saint Joseph’s between 1851 and 1927 are memorialized with sculpted busts integrated into the north and east cornices of the Quadrangle.
This three-part exhibition explores some the conflicts and connections to campus through the camera lens of a young graduate, newspaper articles from the campus and the efforts of two alums and students to assist Vietnamese orphans. Organized by the University Archives and Special Collections with assistance from Saint Joseph’s University Office of Veterans Services. March 5 - May 20, 2018. Reception March 22 at 3pm.
On October 26, 1967, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke to a large gathering at Saint Joseph's College's Memorial Fieldhouse (Hagan Arena). Fifty years later, during academic year 2017-2018, the University hosted a series of programs to commemorate Dr. King's historic visit and explore the present-day relevance of the words and lessons he shared. In conjunction with these events the University Archives and Special Collections presents photographs, letters, and local and student newspaper articles documenting King's visit to SJU and its impact.
An exhibition accompanied events held April 4 - 7, 2017 to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the dedication of the John and Maryanne Hennings Post Learning Commons, a twenty-first century technology-inspired space. Located in the heart of campus, the 37,000 square foot facility is the intellectual hub of the University. Click here for a video commemoration.
This exhibit in Drexel Library entitled “In the Beginning: Saint Joseph’s College Catalogues and Awards of the 1850s,” displays copies from the University Archives and Special Collections of selected early college catalogues (1852-1862) and academic award certificates along with some photographs of silver medals received by students for their academic success. This collection of items helps tell the story of the College’s inaugural years and sheds some light on what college life would have been like for some of the first students. On display January - May, 2016