- Invitation Card: SJU IFBE June 4 2014 invitation card
- PowerPoint: SJU IFBE JUNE 4 2014 PPT
- Guest speaker’s website: Chris Lowney
- Guest speaker’s book: Heroic Leadership
The Saint Joseph’s University Initiative for Family Business and Entrepreneurship (IFBE) hosted our 1st Annual Member Appreciation Dinner on Wednesday, June 4th, 2014, to celebrate our first year anniversary. Our host was the celebrated family-owned restaurant Positano Coast in Old Town Philadelphia.
Our guest speaker was Chris Lowney, award-winning author of the best-selling book, Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company that Changed the World. Chris Lowney, a former Jesuit, worked for J.P. Morgan for seventeen years, serving as a managing director in New York, Tokyo, Singapore, and London. Lowney currently lives in New York City, where he is a consultant for the Catholic Medical Mission Board. The main topic of his presentation was leadership.
Several points from his presentation:
- What is your “great deal of confidence” in their political, business sectors, education, and religious leaders? Only 10 to 20% of North Americans had confidence in their leaders in 2007, which indicates leadership crisis.
- “Who are one or two living people you consider to be leaders?”
“What qualities or behaviors do you associate with great leadership?”
- Two times a day, take a five minute break: 1. Why are you grateful today? 2. What objective or personal issue do you want to focus on these days? 3. Review the last few hours and take away some lesson to help you in the next few hours.
- The meaning of the word “company.” “Company” is derived from the Latin word ‘com’, meaning ‘together’, and ‘panis’– another Latin word, meaning ‘bread’. In the past, merchants arranged their business meetings over festive gatherings; a business discussion also meant something like a treat– having the bread together.
Our next webinar will be on July 22, 2014, and our next SJU IFBE breakfast will be on Wednesday, September 10, 2014. For complete schedule of upcoming events, please visit http://sjufamilybiz.com/upcoming-events/.