Does a veteran or designated transferee have to be at the 100% benefit tier to be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program?

Yes, only Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible. Child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified a the 100% rate.

How do I apply for VA benefits?

Applying for your VA education benefits can be done in just a few steps:

  • Apply online today if you know which benefit you want to use.
  • Visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
  • Consult with the VA Certifying Official—who is usually in the Registrar’s or Financial Aid office—at the school of your choice. This official has application forms and can help you apply.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.

After you apply, use VA’s interactive map to find out how quickly your regional office is processing education claims. Your education benefits are processed at one of four specialized regional claims processing centers in Atlanta; Buffalo, NY; Muskogee, OK; and St. Louis, MO.

How do I receive my Veterans benefits at SJU?

You need to apply for GI Benefits by completing the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) at  If the VA finds you eligible, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or “Award Letter” with information about your benefits.You can also access this information if you use the VA eBenefits site. The instructions are listed below.  Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter to Hawk Central immediately upon receipt.

  • Log onto eBenefits
  • On the “Welcome” page, select the “Manage Your Benefits” option at the bottom
  • Under the “Manage Benefits” option, select the “Status Tracking” option
  • In the “Education” block, you should see a link for the benefit you are eligible for
  • Select the “Enrollment Status”
  • Link (Post 9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, etc)
  • Print the page entitled “Education Enrollment Status”

How does the Yellow Ribbon program benefit the student?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition. The student’s tuition and fees may exceed that amount if they are attending a private institution or graduate school . If they are enrolled at a Yellow Ribbon participating institution and the tuition and fees exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition, additional funds may be available for their education program without an additional charge to their entitlement.

Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution.

What are the payment rates for VA benefits?

Please refer to the following website for information.

The cap is applied until it is exhausted.  If the entire amount is not fully used in the first semester, then the remainder will be applied to cover all or a portion of costs for the subsequent semester.  Once the amount of the cap has been exhausted then the difference between what the Post 9/11 GI Bill covers and the tuition fees charged could be met with Yellow Ribbon program funds or with other financial aid.  Please note that if the tuition and fees do not exceed the cap, then Yellow Ribbon program funds are not awarded.  Likewise, a student attending part-time may not need the Yellow Ribbon program funds.

What is the Yellow Ribbon program and does SJU participate in the Yellow Ribbon component of the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

The Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) must agree to:

  • Provide contributions to eligible individuals who apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program on a first-come first-served basis, regardless of the rate at which the individual is pursuing training in any given academic year;
  • Provide contributions during the current academic year and all subsequent academic years in which the IHL is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program and the student maintains satisfactory progress, conduct, and attendance;
  • Make contributions toward the program on behalf of the individual in the form of a grant, scholarship, etc.;
  • State the dollar amount that will be contributed for each participant during the academic year;
  • State the maximum number of individuals for whom contributions will be made in any given academic year.

SJU is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program. This applies to all undergraduate and graduate students. If you are Yellow Ribbon eligible, it will state so on the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that you receive from the VA. Yellow Ribbon recipients should be cautioned that this is an annual agreement between the institution and Veterans Affairs, and the amount of the awards may change yearly  Please note that there is an annual limit as to the number of students who may be awarded Yellow Ribbon scholarship payments . More information can be found on the GI website.

When does the certification process begin for VA and Yellow Ribbon benefits?

The VA defines the academic year as August 1 through July 31 therefore SJU cannot begin the certification process until August 1st.

Were can I find more information regarding Yellow Ribbon, GI, or VA benefits?

Please contact your Veteran’s Administration Representative to complete all required forms. Once completed, SJU will certify your enrollment and payment will be credited toward your tuition.

Yellow Ribbon is only for students that receive 100% on chapter 33. You must submit the Certificate of Eligibility for SJU to verify.

More information regarding VA Benefits may be found here.

While using Veteran benefits, what should I do if I decide to change my enrollment status?

Please let Hawk Central know immediately if you chose to change your enrollment status.  This includes dropping a course, withdrawing from a course or changing your major.  We must then notify the VA.  Overpayments may result when you drop or withdraw from a class and this will be determined by the VA.

If a refund is due based on a change in your registration status (Drop or withdrawal of a class) it will be processed according to the SJU Tuition Account Refund Policy

  • If the payment was made directly by a third payer  (i.e. VA, TA) the refund will be processed directly to them.