Service-Learning Program Policies & Resources
Have a question about your Community Partner Organization or a conflict with placement time? Ask a Placement Liaison in 131 Post Learning Commons.
- Spring 2020 Placement Liaison Community Partner Organization Assignments
- Spring 2020 Placement Liaison Office Hours
Semester-Long Course Resources
Semester service-learning courses are offered in both the College of Arts and Sciences and the Haub School of Business.
- If during the business hours of 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, call Danielle Critelli at (610)-660-1334
- If outside office hours, call the FJI Student Workroom at (610)-660-1004 with questions
- With emergencies and concerns, call the Office of Public Safety at (610)-660-1111
Students serving at many of our Community Partner Organizations are required by SJU and their CPO to complete up to four clearances: FBI Fingerprints Check, PA Child Abuse Check, PA Criminal Background Check, and SJU Minors on Campus video. To review SJU's policies on clearances, click here.
Instructions for Applying for PA Child Abuse Check, PA Criminal Background Check, SJU Minors on Campus video:
- Instructions for Completing (1) PA Criminal Background and (2) PA Child Abuse Background Checks
- Screen Shot Instructions for completing (1) PA Criminal Background and (2) PA Child Abuse Background Checks
- Instructions for Completing SJU Minors on Campus Training Video
Instructions for the FBI Fingerprints Check:
- NEW Instructions for Completing FBI Clearance through Morpho Trust
- SJU SPECIFIC REGISTRATION FOR ON-CAMPUS FINGERPRINTS
- The Faith-Justice Institute hosts complimentary on-campus fingerprints for service-learning students.
- Students must register for a fingerprint appointment; all students requiring fingerprints will receive an email with the registration link and need to use access code for SJU appointments.
- Students will pay for cost of fingerprint ($23.85) at appointment at the time of their appointment; there is an opportunity for reimbursement with correct and timely upload.
- If paying this upfront is a financial burden to you, please contact Danielle Critelli at email@example.com or 610-660-1334.
- In order to be reimbursed for your FBI Background Check, you will need to (a) bring a copy of your FBI Registration with your SJU ID# written at the top of the receipt to Post-Learning Commons Suite 131 AND (b) all other required correct clearances are uploaded to the Nest.
- We submit a request for your reimbursement; however, it could take up to several weeks for you to receive the funding. Please check your bank accounts as well as your home address for a check mailed to you.
- Fingerprinting is also available off campus at the following locations:
Instructions to Upload Clearances to the Nest
- NEW Instructions for Uploading Clearances to the Nest
- You will need to (a) upload a copy of each of your required clearances to the SJU Nest AND (b) print two copies of each clearance result/certificate – one for your personal file and one to bring to your community partner.
- All clearances are required to be uploaded to the Nest by a specified due date. You must turn in all completed background reports to your community partner organization during your first week of service.
Freshman Transportation: University Vehicles
- All students must pre-register for a training session the Nest.
- Steps to Register on the Nest:
- Log on to the Nest→ School Services
- Under Public Safety, click on "Van Driver Training"
- Fill out Van Driver Application & AgreementSelect Driver Training Presentation
- Before DT presentation , you must:
- Bring a copy of your driver’s license to the training
- Bring the completed Transportation Form with you to the training
Day of Service Car Procedure
- You will be driving a car or mini-van; you will not drive 12-passenger vans to service.
- SJU Vehicle keys are located at Office of Public Safety in Barbelin Hall.
- You will be asked to show your SJU ID and to sign out keys at front desk.
- Keys might be reserved under your name or your service partner’s name. Ask for keys under all names in group.
- All vehicles are located on, and returned to, the 5th floor of Hawks Landing.
- NEW: Take note (or picture) of your vehicle’s starting and returning mileage. You need to record this info in the binder in Office of Public Safety when you return to campus.
If you experience an issue with your assigned vehicle:
- fill out the log located in the Public Safety Office in Barbelin Hall
- email firstname.lastname@example.org after your service activity and cc email@example.com
- visit the Office of Public Safety in Barbelin
- Call 610-660-1111 for assistance
Semester-Long Transportation: Public Transportation Policy
- Septa transportation passes are distributed twice a semester. You will receive enough passes for half of the semester.
- You will need to identify your travel route to your placement. We suggest using Septa.com and go to “Trip Planner” and enter your community partner organization'ss address (found above). Change the date to reflect your first day of service.
- Students must complete travel before 6pm on SEPTA and pick-up tokens as per the process outlined below.
All students leaving Community Partner in the afternoons and evenings can ask a supervisor or staff member to walk them to their car or bus stop after service has ended.
SJU Safe App
- Faith-Justice Institute professional staff (610)-660-1337
- Faith-Justice Institute student workroom (610)-660-1004
- With emergencies and concerns, call the Office of Public Safety at 610-660-1111
- Connecting your service-learning experience to your job search
- Has Service-Learning influenced your career choice? Tell your story at SJU's Outcomes
- For a Map of Community Partners working with the Freshmen and Semester courses please click here go to the community partner web page.