Service-Learning students come from all different majors throughout the College of Arts and Sciences as well as the Haub School of Business - all with an interest in combining academic work and service.
Freshman students have the rare opportunity to enroll in a two course sequence that allows students to stay with the same faculty member, peers and community partner for the entire academic year. Below is further information for interested freshmen students as well as a questionnaire for freshmen students enrolled in a service-learning course.
Freshman Service-Learning Information
- Why should I take a freshman service-learning course?
- Freshmen Yearlong Courses and CPO Site Catalogue
- Freshmen Service-Learning Course Placement Questionnaire
- Transportation Issues: If you are a freshman student experiencing any immediate transportation issue, please contact Public Safety at 610-660-1111. Please communicate all non-immediate issues to email@example.com.
Semester Courses and Information
Semester service-learning courses are offered in both the College of Arts and Sciences and the Haub School of Business. Semester courses change and rotate in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Below is a link for semester service-learning students to view the approved sites per each course.
Service-Learning Program Policies & Resources
Have a question about your Community Partner Organization or a conflict with placement time? Ask a Placement Liaison in 131 Post Learning Commons.
- Spring 2019 Placement Liaison Community Partner Organization Assignments
- Spring 2019 Placement Liaison Office Hours
Students serving at many of our Community Partner Organizations are required to complete four clearances: PA Child Abuse Check, PA Criminal Background Check, SJU Minors on Campus video, and FBI Fingerprints
Instructions for PA Child Abuse Check, PA Criminal Background Check, SJU Minors on Campus video:
- Instructions for Completing PA Criminal Background and PA Child Abuse Background Checks Report
- Instructions for Completing SJU Minors on Campus Training Video
- NEW Instructions for Uploading Clearances to the Nest
FBI Fingerprints Check:
- NEW Instructions for Completing FBI Clearance through Morpho Trust
- SJU SPECIFIC REGISTRATION FOR ON-CAMPUS FINGERPRINTS
- Fingerprints for current Service-Learning students will be offered on campus in PLC on Monday, January 28 and Tuesday, January 29 from 9:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Students must register for a fingerprint appointment, link will be uploaded when available.
- Students will pay for cost of fingerprint at appointment and will be reimbursed if their receipt is turned in at PLC 131 on Thursday, January 31 from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm AND all other required clearances are uploaded to the Nest by January 31.
- IdentiGo Locations for FBI Fingerprint Clearances
- PA Service Code Form - Colleges-Universities
- Emergency Protocol
- Missed Service Procedures and Inclement Weather Policy
- SEPTA tokens for transportation to and from service: handed out twice during the semester in Post Learning Commons 131
- Thursday, January 31, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, Post-Learning Commons 131
- Thursday, March 21, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, Post-Learning Commons 131
All Service-Learning students are invited to:
Listen. Learn. Dialogue.
Sponsored by the Faith-Justice Institute. Each session will begin with a 15 minute presentation about a racial justice topic relevant to our campus community. A group discussion will follow. Each session will last for 45 minutes. All levels of understanding are welcome!
Dates & Topics:
Tuesday, February 5th at 11am: "Unlearning Racism for Social Justice" with Dr. Ann Green
Thursday, February 21st at 11am: "Can I See Myself Here?" with Dr. Brent Smith
Thursday, March 28th at 11am: "Finding your Belonging in the SJU Community" with Dr. Jennifer Dessus
All Sessions will be held in Wachterhauser Seminar Room (2nd floor PLC). Feel free to bring your lunch.
- Connecting your service-learning experience to your job search
- Has Service-Learning influenced your career choice? Tell your story at SJU's Outcomes
- For a Map of Community Partners working with the Freshmen and Semester courses please click here go to the community partner web page.