The Paris Review is a literary magazine famous for its “Writers at Work” series that, over the last six decades, has featured interviews with some of the world’s most well-known writers, all archived on the magazine’s website.  Written by students in our English courses, "Editors at Work” is a play on the The Paris interviews, featuring conversations with a variety of editors from all over the country, including some of our own alumni. At the end of many of the interviews, we also provide links to internship opportunities.

Editors at Work: San Antonio Express-News

Jul 2, 2017 | 0 Comments

Jamie Stockwell is managing editor of the San Antonio Express-News in San Antonio, Texas. How did you get into editing? I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, and I had a degree in journalism. I moved to Washington, D.C. for an internship at The Washington Post. I worked there as a reporter for […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Norton

Jul 2, 2017 | 0 Comments

Erik Fahlgren is a vice president and the chemistry and astronomy editor in the college division of W.W. Norton. What is a typical day like for you at Norton? As an editor, I probably don’t do as much editing as someone might expect. In other businesses, I might be called a brand manager. My job […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Trion Group

Jul 2, 2017 | 0 Comments

Danielle Bullen Love, ’05, M.A. ‘06, is a communications specialist at Trion Group, a corporate employee benefits provider. She is also a freelance writer and former managing editor of Merion Matters, a parent company of ADVANCE Healthcare Network. What’s your editing style, in terms of how you offer feedback?  I always give reasoning because I […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Chicago Tribune

Jul 2, 2017 | 0 Comments

Kathleen O’Malley is a copy editor for the Chicago Tribune. How did you choose a career in copy editing?  I was always good as a kid at pointing out things that were wrong or reworking things that were wrong. My first job was at my hometown newspaper in Muncie, Indiana. For my interview, I took […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Suburban Life

Jun 26, 2017 | 0 Comments

Theodora Malison, ’15, ’16 M.A., is the managing editor of Suburban Life magazine. What are your responsibilities as managing editor? Basically, my job is putting the whole book together. I work very closely with our editor in chief as well. My job is a lot of writing about different topics whether it’s fine dining, education, […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Motivos

Jun 26, 2017 | 0 Comments

Jenée Chizick-Agüero is the founder and publisher of Motivos, the nation’s largest bilingual magazine with youth-generated content. What led you to start Motivos? My parents are both educators. I didn’t see myself as anyone with classroom discipline skills. Philly pubic school are hard! But I wanted to impact youth. I wanted to help them reach […]

Read More

Editors at Work: The World Bank

Jun 26, 2017 | 0 Comments

Bassam Sebti, M.A.’08, is the web and social media editor at The World Bank. How did you end up at The World Bank? After I graduated from Saint Joseph’s University, I got a job at a nonprofit organization in D.C. and became the editor of a multilingual website. A few years later, I landed a […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Organic Life

Jun 26, 2017 | 0 Comments

Gina Tomaine, ’10, is associate deputy editor at Rodale’s Organic Life. While an English and economics major at Saint Joseph’s University, she wrote for The Hawk and for Crimson and Gray. She received an M.F.A. in creative nonfiction from Emerson College in 2013. How did you find yourself at Organic Life?  I began at Rodale’s […]

Read More

Editors at Work: Billy Penn

Jun 16, 2017 | 0 Comments

Shannon Wink is managing editor of Billy Penn, an online-only Philly news website. How did you get into journalism? In eighth grade I decided I was going to be a journalist, kind of out of nowhere. I worked at my high school paper, which was not very journalism-based at all. I declared my major as […]

Read More