Vanessa Constantinidis, ’13, M.A. ’16: Associate Director of Admissions

Vanessa Constantinidis, ’13, M.A. ’16, is the associate director of admissions at Hellenic College Holy Cross School of Theology.

What does your role in admissions entail?  

A big part of my job is looking at essays and seeing if the student is a great academic fit for the school. I also do counseling and consulting with prospective students and their parents, create content for emails and make sure that each team member is aware of what our enrollment goals are, what we’ve done and what we have to do.

What are some of your favorite parts of the job?

I work directly with our outside marketing resource, Ruffalo Noel Levitz, and that’s something I really enjoy. They help us make sure that all of the content is aligned with the mission of the school and speaks to our audience. That’s probably one of my favorite parts, doing that creative marketing. But in general, I enjoy being here to guide our office as well as our students.

How does your English degree help you succeed in your position?

When working with our creative team and our marketing, it’s definitely helpful to have a writing background because you’re able to have concise language and also the creativity that maybe someone from a different background wouldn’t. And in any nonprofit or business role, an effective communicator will go a long way.

What drew you to higher education?

I was a work study student in the study abroad office, and I was also a work study student in the Writing Center at St. Joe’s. Both of those jobs allowed me to have some hands-on experience in higher education and administrative work. After I graduated, I got a job in international ed, and I stayed in higher ed because I think it’s a good mixture of education and business. You can pair consulting and counseling with management and leadership, so I find that exciting. And writing can be used in every aspect of the job. Altogether, it fit my goals and my interests.

How did your English courses at St. Joe’s help you hone the skill set necessary for your current job?

As an undergrad, I loved every creative writing class. When I got into my graduate degree, I began to see how writing was applicable in more than just a creative way. Together, it really allowed me to see how writing was effective in the workplace. You’re able to look at an application essay and find some grammar mistakes, and that’s normal, but you also see a student’s creativity. It’s also important for academic writing, web or email content. While you definitely need to have the creative mindset to do those things, you still need to make sure that the grammar is correct and that everything will make sense to your audience.

Do you have any favorite memories of your time as an undergraduate?

I was a member of the Italian Club, and I studied abroad in Rome and loved everything about it. Specifically related to the English department, I think that my professors and the classes I took were just the best resources to see where to go next. In general, studying abroad and making really great friends is definitely one of my favorite memories.

—Molly Grab, ’17